Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are cats lactose intolerant???

Options
  • 15-07-2009 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi all

I took in two stray kittens yesterday and not knowing a whole lot about cats i just wanted to ask here are cats lactose intolerant?? I was told this today but im just wondering if they are do they like drinking water if they're afraid of it??? also how many times a day do i feed them? they are about 12 14 weeks old and i was giving them half a pouch of the felix kitten food but its gone in seconds with them.....and they are also meowing out loud enough why is this?? i have them in my downstairs bathroom because one its big enough and warm enough and two i didnt know where ese to put them???:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

any advice is much appreciated...

Dandoline...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

It's nearly impossible to overfeed a kitten, so don't worry about the food. Give more if they want more. You should feed small kittens up to four times a day. Don't leave food out to get stale, but if they're finishing it in seconds and miaowing, put out more.

Milk - don't give them cow's milk. You can give them lactose free milk if you like (like whiskas kitten milk) but they're better off with just water.

They're fine together in your bathroom. Make sure they have litter tray and a bed and some toys (anything - even the cardboard insert from a loo roll - makes a toy).

How long do you have them for? Enjoy them - they're gorgeous at that age. :)

Also: pics!!

How do you know they're 12-14 weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Dandoline

Hi Minesajackdaniels,

Thanks for filling me in.. I will take pics and put them up tomorrow they are cute little things...The old house i was living in (moved last week) the mammy cat (a stray) had a number of litters and is pregnant again so i think they are about 12 - 14 weeks. I will give them another feed so...they have a little bed and a litter tray and a drink of water in the bathroom with them i must get some loo rolls and let them play with them...

Im still debating if i should keep them or not to be honest i dont think i can afford to get them spayed and vaccinated and all the rest that comes with them im fairly limited to funds but id hate to see anything happend to them i have been in contact with the dspca and they are ringing me tomorrow so i may make up my mind :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Thanks a mill xx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Make sure they are wormed regularly as well since they are strays they may not have been wormed before Parazole is a good gentle wormer for kittens but ensure it's measured properly.

They probably aren't used to getting regular meals esp. if they are thin and kittens tend to stand in their food bowl and eat like little piggies at that age, no harm though small regular meals will build them up.

As said, cows milk can give them the runs, no harm in giving some Whiskas cat milk you could water it down too to make it last a bit longer. They like fresh water if feeding wet food they won't drink as much.

Good on you for taking the little ones in.

Advertisement