Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martial Arts

Options
  • 15-07-2009 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Ok so want to take up a new martial art. im a 19yr old girl(fairly obvious) i done TaeKwonDo for abou b/9 years and managed to get my 2nd Dan Black belt. i havent trained for 2years due to a fairly bad knee injury and am reluctant to go back... i loved TaeKwonDo but its not much of a challenge anymore except now having to try remember everything. Anyone know of any other martial Arts i could do? I dont want to go down the karate route or anything too like TaeKwonDo i want a nw challenge.

Im interested in Boxing and would like to get involved any clubs near Blarney? also im guessing Thai boxing is mainly or completely a guys sport is it? and what about kick boxing? i know im not being very clear just need options!:rolleyes:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

SarahMurph wrote: »

Im interested in Boxing and would like to get involved any clubs near Blarney? also im guessing Thai boxing is mainly or completely a guys sport is it? and what about kick boxing? i know im not being very clear just need options!:rolleyes:

I have trained in Muay Thai in a few places in Dublin and while there has always been a majority of men in the classes theres usually a few women as well. I'd say this is probably true of clubs around the country since most of the fight night line ups posted here have at least one womens fight on them.

My geography of Cork is woeful but theres a thread which lists Muay Thai clubs in the Rebel County here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055619952

Good luck with whatever you go for!

Thai Boxing would be perfect from what you have described, Its not a complete guys sport theres a lot of female professional thai boxers fitness in thai boxing is great and you shouldn't have much trouble with kicks considering your tae-kwon-do background, Boxing is pretty much incorporated in Thai Boxing.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Anyone know of any other martial Arts i could do? I dont want to go down the karate route or anything too like TaeKwonDo i want a nw challenge.

Well if you want something completely different, I'd suggest Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.
    It's about as different as you can get!

A number of people here have gone from taekwondo to BJJ (myself included) - once the intial awkwardness wears off it's very addictive. I don't know the geography of the Southlands too much but Liam Beechinor is excellent:
    http://www.bjjcork.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭martinh

hi sarah

siam thaiboxing gym is just off blarney st ,plenty girls train here ,pop down have a look if you want to check it out.

7pm weeknights

martin 086 3035412 if you need any info

www.siamwarriorscork.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SarahMurph

Thanks for all the help. im away next week but i think i might give the Thai boxing a go when i come back. What kinda gear do i need to go training? And are the classes mixed ability or are there begineers classes? JUst to let you know Martin I am fairly unfit as ive just got the all clear...should i get a bit fitter before trying out the sport??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭martinh

hi sarah

all you need is your self all the gear is there in the gym

dont worry about fitness ,take it at your own pace theres no pressure ,the fitness will come and improve as you go.

tues wens thurs are when mostly begineers so best to come to one of those.

martin

where exactly in Blarney St are ye located?
    I wont be able to go this week as i am away but i will definitley call up and check the place out on the 28th! its really after catching my attention now so i will call up! Thanks Martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

i havent trained for 2years due to a fairly bad knee injury and am reluctant to go back... i loved TaeKwonDo but its not

You will definitely find Thai challenging. Has you knee full healed though?

Well thats the thing ive only just got the all clear...i ruptured my cruciate...but im back hillwalking, canoeing and in the gym and the knee has been holding up so far!The physio and surgeon have given the all clear so wont know how twill hold up in Thai until i try i guess!
    Im up for the challenge...do you do it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Hi,

You could always check out kendo )

• Advertisement
Advertisement