Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

downloaded joomla, but problem?

Options
  • 15-07-2009 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭

hi,

i downloaded joomla mobile, and since never downloaded a .zip file, i dont know what to do?.

basically im using CoffeeCup software and wanted to see if Joomla is better.

so anyway, i downloaded joomla!, and it appears to be compressed, so i uncompressed it, and now its just a file with stuff in it. how do i open the software to start building websites offline?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

CoffeeCup and Joomla are two completely different things... CoffeeCup is an Editor, from what I know, whereas Joomla is a Content Management System. After you 'design' your site in CoffeeCup, you have to make it into a Joomla template.

To get the core Joomla files set up offline, I highly recommend that you get yourself a copy of XAMPP. It's a free pre-configured package with Apache, PHP and MySQL (and many others).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

not gonna bother, because my host is windows.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

The one great difference between Windows and Linux hosts is the lack of proper "pretty URL" support on Windows without extra plug-ins serverside. Of course there are other differences but that'd be the main concern for somebody using a CMS.

If you want to develop with Joomla in the same environment as the host, then develop on the host in a subdirectory and protect it with a .htaccess (how-to was covered in another post recently). Or set your Joomla installation to offline mode, and only the administrators will be able to open the website.

Or if you want something completely native to IIS, then venture into DotNetNuke. But that's something completely different - personally, I've never used it and I don't really want to go near it.

Sorry if I'm still missing your problem..

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭willows

to run joomla offline on your own pc, you will need xamp loaded and running on the pc.

It will require you to create a database and have access to it.

Unzip the file
    go to www..../install/index.php and follow the instructions.

BTW I would only recommend running it on a Linux hosting.

We can do the install for you if you like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement