Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yoghurt cartons/plastic milk cartons

Options
  • 15-07-2009 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

Apologies if covered elsewhere but i have searched and here i am . I dont live near a recycling centre (30 mile trip ) . Can i put muller rice tubs or plastic milk cartons in a bottle bank for plastic bottles ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I like to think that I am as Green as they come but if it is one thing that pees me off, it is the massive amount of different plastics that Yougurt, meat, milk etc are packed in! I believe that it should be illegal to produce for sale, or import for sale, items in plastic containers that cannot be recycled. That said, I wash all plastic items and put them in the recycling bags and leave out for Greenstar to collect - no problems thus far. However, my conscience is troubled as I worry about where the stuff ends up. Is it going to landfill here, or landfill in China/India after being sorted by three year olds? Really, the whole Green recycling thing needs to be smartened up and we all need to have it clearly explained where, what and how things happen to items sent for recycling. Producers must be stopped for packaging things in non-recyclable cartons, bottles etc and NOW! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

That said, I wash all plastic items and put them in the recycling bags and leave out for Greenstar to collect - no problems thus far. However, my conscience is troubled as I worry about where the stuff ends up. Is it going to landfill here, or landfill in China/India after being sorted by three year olds?
    Why don't you ask Greenstar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

djpbarry wrote: »
    Why don't you ask Greenstar?

I will later today but I thinks the odds are against a straight reply. Will let you know the result of my enquiry.

Advertisement