Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best laptop for college?

Options
  • 15-07-2009 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

hi,
    not sure if this is in the right place but i was wondering what's the best laptop for college??
    i'm hoping to do Law so would like to know what laptop would be the most suitable for my course. I've heard that MacBooks are good but they're quite expensive!

any suggestions would be welcomed!!!!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yes Macbooks are expensive.
    What's your budget?
    And do you currently own a Mac?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭*Miss Ní C*

i've a budget of around €750-€900 depending on my exam results. I currently use a HP laptop(the family one) but it's not the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

"Most suitable for your course" is irrelevant:). You're doing law, not computer aided design or anything where it might be relevant.

Do you want a big one with a big screen, a small one you can slide under your arm and carry around all day with a tiny screen or something in the middle? Apart from budget (which you've answered), that's the most important question.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,612 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

My advice:

A small laptop (like 12" screen or thereabouts) if you need it more for the portability & will be bringing it in and out of college a lot...

A large laptop (like 15 or 17" screen) if you'll be using it for lots of typing, as the bigger size won't hurt as much if you need to type all day.. However big laptops are stupidly heavy...

As for whether you should get a mac or not, don't. Waste of money if you ask me, buy a dell and save a couple of hundred euros...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

get two

a net book

very simple easy to use and very portable

then go to adverts.ie and get a cheap p4 for about €60. a 17-19" screen then buy a cdr and some usb keys for transfering your files . for home. if the hdd. is to small splash out and buy a hdd.

your doing a course that requires very little computer power. get open office or if your must get whatever ms product you prefer.

getting a mac or a powerfull pc for a corse that will be using *.doc and *.pps files is a bit overkill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭*Miss Ní C*

sceptre wrote: »
    "Most suitable for your course" is irrelevant:). You're doing law, not computer aided design or anything where it might be relevant.

Do you want a big one with a big screen, a small one you can slide under your arm and carry around all day with a tiny screen or something in the middle? Apart from budget (which you've answered), that's the most important question.

em round about 15', don't like the really small ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

475.33 inc vat and delivery on the dell website . its the cheapist one .

www.dell.ie

Advertisement