Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get rid of cats?

Options
  • 15-07-2009 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭

My granny's garden next door is constantly overrun with cats, which drives the dogs around mental, fairly sure a greyhound just killed a cat there now. She called the council and dog warden several times up til 6 months ago and there were plenty of promises to come down to sort it out, but of course the useless ****ers never did. Has anyone got suggestions for how to get rid of these cats before the rest of them get mauled?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

:pac:.................Anti-Freeze

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

Hi ASDA do a product in enniskillen called cat o pult in a spray bottle ,seems to work . Just spray it around walls ,bushes etc . It confuses the cats smell apparently so they dont like it and move on . Costs about 4 pounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

:pac:.................Anti-Freeze

Not funny, and I suggest you don't post similarly again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

They hate reflective things too. Those free CDs from newspapers and 500ml bottles half filled with water.
    Failing all those a tiger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Well cats dont like water.....you could have sprinklers installed or keep hosing them down eventually they might go away.

If that isn't an option you could try removing any obvious sources of food and secure all outside waste containers.

Seal up any spaces that a cat may see as an attractive ‘nesting’ area. Some of their favorite places to make homes are underneath decks, sheds and bushes.

Or you can always try catching them and setting them loose somewhere far away from the garden. Though if their vicious this might not be a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 j2009

Are they feral cats or somebody's pets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 laceyl

Try cats protection, they come and do the "trap neuter release" programme, and any young cats that can be tamed they will find homes for, so unfortunatley you will be left with a few but they will be neutered so wont be multiplying.

I doubt the dog wardens will ever turn up since theyre cats :p!!
    Sorry couldnt resist!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Drogheda Animal Rescue are based in Louth - they may be able to help with trapping/neutering/removing them?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

star-pants wrote: »
    Not funny, and I suggest you don't post similarly again

Youre too nice :)

Itsallaboutthel--Have an infraction for that comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Find out who owns them. If they're not owned, they need to be trapped and removed. A trap neuter release programme is unsuitable in an area where dogs are killing the cats (unfair on both sets of animals). Keep lobbying the shelters, even for a loan of some traps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

j2009 wrote: »
    Are they feral cats or somebody's pets?
    Feral. I'd guess 2 years ago there were at least 60 or 70 behind the gardens on my street, most of them pissed off about 18 months ago from the gardens, but plenty didn't.
    laceyl wrote: »
    I doubt the dog wardens will ever turn up since theyre cats :p!!
    Sorry couldnt resist!
    Phoned the council and she was told to go on to the dog warden.
    Find out who owns them. If they're not owned, they need to be trapped and removed. A trap neuter release programme is unsuitable in an area where dogs are killing the cats (unfair on both sets of animals). Keep lobbying the shelters, even for a loan of some traps.
    No-one owns the feckers which is the problem. They scratched my dog last year, luckily there was no damage done and they torture the greyhounds and jack russell next door. I don't like cats but it's horrible when they're caught.

Spose it's on to the shelters now to see if they're arsed helping.

Advertisement