Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

field rings

Options
  • 15-07-2009 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭

Hey went for a run in the park today and noticed a lot of these "rings" about. Not so much crop circles but definite circles some of them intertwined. Quite a lot of them in St Annes in Raheny. Anyone else seen any in their local area;

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

theres two in my backgarden. its drainage etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

iamhunted wrote: »
    theres two in my backgarden. its drainage etc etc
    why in circles though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭magenta73

I too, have some of these in my back garden and we made them ourselves (not intentionally), we renovated the whole garden and planted new grass and in some area's it didn't take so we planted more and because it wasn't spread as evenly as the first lot, we got thick grass circles. The corporation do this also if they get patches in parks due to kids playing football etc. But I still call them fairy forts of effect!:D the kids love it!

why in circles though.

I dunno - theres two big massive circles that you can only see when the grass gets long enough and the circle is made up of a slightly darker green.

I had assumed that somewhere below are two large circular containers and it caused the earth to made some kind of indentation or something along that line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

It may be the site of a former structure.Some tests by archaeologists involve studying an area of ground for darker patches or shapes which may indicate that there was buildings present in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Diageio_Man

They are caused by a fungus, heres some more info on the subject.
    http://www.wonderquest.com/fairy-ring.htm

i wonder if that fungus always kills the grass. the circles in our garden isnt made of dead grass, just slightly darker green grass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

As said above, these are fairy rings. There caused by fungus but even with that said farmers down the country refuse to cut them down. They think that its bad luck if you get rid of them so you'll see many fields across the country with all the field cut but the ring still standing.

I'd say alot of those fairy rings that the farmers wont touch are probably more old forts/settlements than fungus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

they are definitely old settlements (at least some of the time)

we studied them in archaeology and they actually made reference to them being known as fairy rings today

• Advertisement

indough wrote: »
    they are definitely old settlements (at least some of the time)

we studied them in archaeology and they actually made reference to them being known as fairy rings today
    the rings im talking about were in St Annes were the soccer pitches are. Wonder is it they way they sew the seeds with a rotator.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Sound alot like Crop Marks to me iamhunted however the OP's example is probably the fungus variety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭patrickthomas

They are caused by a fungus, heres some more info on the subject.
    http://www.wonderquest.com/fairy-ring.htm

And not just this fungus but several varieties of fungus cause this effect and lots without killing the grass behind it, Some of them boost the growth of the grass, and always in an ever increasing circle.

I saw a really beautiful field where the circles were overlapping and formed a beautiful very Celtic like pattern and wondered did the early illustrators get inspiration from them.
    don't have any links to this as I studied it aeons ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

fairy fort i know of, gate opens and closes to the field where the fairy fort is located. Gate opens and closes by itself...when you walk by. Like an electric door entrance to a shopping centre! weird.

Fairy fort in a back garden of my brother in laws home, there years and years, they have it fenced off, no one allowed touch it.!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Ghost Girl wrote: »
    fairy fort i know of, gate opens and closes to the field where the fairy fort is located. Gate opens and closes by itself...when you walk by. Like an electric door entrance to a shopping centre! weird

Would love to know where that is and check it out. Interesting to video it and walk by 100 times, seeing how many times it moved?

6th wrote: »
    Would love to know where that is and check it out. Interesting to video it and walk by 100 times, seeing how many times it moved?

When i said one i know, i should have said "one i've heard of". A relative has experienced it. Video it would be a good idea! Its in Westmeath, near Baylin, ill find out exact location.

When i said one i know, i should have said "one i've heard of". A relative has experienced it. Video it would be a good idea! Its in Westmeath, near Baylin, ill find out exact location.
    you sure its actually not an electronic door entrance

you sure its actually not an electronic door entrance
    ha ha ha. a gate on a field, in the country!!? stranger things have happened i suppose!

ha ha ha. a gate on a field, in the country!!? stranger things have happened i suppose!
    people can be very inventive if they need to bring in the tourists!

fairy fort i know of, gate opens and closes to the field where the fairy fort is located. Gate opens and closes by itself...when you walk by. Like an electric door entrance to a shopping centre! weird.

Fairy fort in a back garden of my brother in laws home, there years and years, they have it fenced off, no one allowed touch it.!

Video......... Gates do not open and close by themselves, some peoples imaginations are ......well i don't know what to say, not sure if it is funny or sad, beginning to lean towards sad as all it exhibits is a limited intellect or worse still people who see "things" are not the full shilling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Hey went for a run in the park today and noticed a lot of these "rings" about. Not so much crop circles but definite circles some of them intertwined. Quite a lot of them in St Annes in Raheny. Anyone else seen any in their local area;

Quick question, why didn't you ask this question in the Farming & Forestry forum?

Video......... Gates do not open and close by themselves, some peoples imaginations are ......well i don't know what to say, not sure if it is funny or sad, beginning to lean towards sad as all it exhibits is a limited intellect or worse still people who see "things" are not the full shilling.

Well PatrickThomas, I didn't see it...yet...but I certainly am the full shilling!! I think I'll just have to make a trip and check it out for myself. If i catch any thing on camera - you'll be the first to see it!

Well PatrickThomas, I didn't see it...yet...but I certainly am the full shilling!! I think I'll just have to make a trip and check it out for myself. If i catch any thing on camera - you'll be the first to see it!

:P Go on, go and see the moving gate and believe me the world will want to see it, and I will apologise in person and publicly if the gate is indeed moved by anything other than natural causes.

Pardon my scepticism but I have researched the paranormal and supernatural for over 25 years and I have not discovered one single shred of evidence for the existence of anything that cannot be explained by science.

What I did discover though was that people's ability to use superstition to their own gain as in fortune-tellers, faith healers etc.

There are no ghosts, spirits or fairies, disappointing it may be as it would be a whole lot of fun if there were.

I am coming to the conclusion that people that believe in stuff like this are not the full shilling as quite simply believing in something that does not exist outside of the imagination puts one on dodgy psychological ground.

There is a definite line between what is real and what is not real, at least for most people and any blurring of this line increasingly looks like a psychological condition.

Overblood wrote: »
    Quick question, why didn't you ask this question in the Farming & Forestry forum?
    because thought they could have been fairy rings. And it was in st annes anyway. Which aint a farm or a forest.

Just wondering if anyone has found any examples on Google earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

because thought they could have been fairy rings. And it was in st annes anyway. Which aint a farm or a forest.

I'm sure there are people in the Farming and Forestry forum that know about soil at least. It doesn't have to be in a field.

Why would anyone would go to a paranormal forum to ask about a soil formation?

Overblood wrote: »
    I'm sure there are people in the Farming and Forestry forum that know about soil at least. It doesn't have to be in a field.

Why would anyone would go to a paranormal forum to ask about a soil formation?
    because at the time i didnt know it was about soil formation okay?

Just wondering if anyone has found any examples on Google earth.

they'd either need to be pretty big field rings or else you'd need some GoogleCar 4 x 4s and go driving round a lot of fields.

iamhunted wrote: »
    they'd either need to be pretty big field rings or else you'd need some GoogleCar 4 x 4s and go driving round a lot of fields.
    Yes was up in Hill of Tara last year and a lot of those famous rings you cant see from the ground.

• Advertisement

:P
    What I did discover though was that people's ability to use superstition to their own gain as in fortune-tellers, faith healers etc.

I will agree with you on this point. And any one who is using their so called "gift" to get money off people, or upset people, are a disgrace.

Vulnerable people get caught in this, seeking comfort from others who are mediums or psychics or what ever....

I have my own experiences, my beliefs, and my doubts aswell, but I would never go around trying to make gains from it. And believe it or not, whether I have a psychological condition or not has crossed my mind too!

Advertisement