Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security deposit trouble

Options
  • 15-07-2009 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

im hoping someone out there can help me with this problem!

my friends and i recently moved out of a house that we had leased for about 8 months for college. we paid down 2000 euro deposit through homefinders management company in cork

a number of weeks after we moved out, we had yet to receive our deposit back. one of my friends contacted the management company on several occasions regarding the issue and eventually, last week after having moved out with about 6 weeks, we received a letter in the post that broke down some 'miscellaneous costs'.

there are a number of costs that i have no problem paying, but there are some costs that are just ridicilous such as 190euro to clean the house even though we left the house spotless,230 euro for 'repairs and replacements' of a door that had a small hole in it......and so on!!!!

at no stage during the 6 weeks did the management company contact any of the tenants regarding the damage.if we knew what was to happen, we would have come to some arrangement to rectify it.

i would love to say it was a pleasurable experience living in the house but it was far from that. at one stage, the drain(which was running through the utility room) overflowed causing a despicable smell to the whole house. the landlord then tried blaming it on us saying that we used to much toilet paper.

secondly, we returned to the house after a weekend away to find a dead rat in the upstairs a toilet.

thirdly, the landlord dumped 8 tonnes of gravel on our driveway and told us that we had to shovel it out!!

in total, out of the 2000euro deposit, we received 179euro in return.....has anybody got any advice for us????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I hope you took photos of everything before moving out?
    Either way they can only take money out of your deposit for damage above normal wear and tear, file a dispute with the PRTB (http://www.prtb.ie/)
    It might take a while (well no, it WILL take a while) to come up, but they'll have to justify the cash they took from you to a third party, they might even cave and give you back your cash when you mention the PRTB...

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cathalosullivan

im afraid us amateurs didnt take any pictures....we'll know next time

im almost done with a very strongly worded letter and im going to include the thing about the prtb and hopefully that will get us some of our money back

thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Where you registered with the PRTB?
    It doesnt hurt you becase you can take a claim no matter what. However if they didnt register they leave themselves exposed to a fine.

You should have gotten a letter in the post about it during the tenancy.

They are NOT allowed to take money off for "cleaning" unless you left the place above normal wear and tear.

To be honest. Forget the letter.
    Call them and speak to someone senior and tell them either they return the money or you will take them through the PRTB to get it back. Play hardball.

Advertisement