Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salvaged Radiators - Efficient Enough?

Options
  • 15-07-2009 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello all,

I am renovating an old house and considering using salvaged school house type radiators. In general I think salvaged stuff looks kitsch and I've tried to stay away from it so far, but I haven't been able to find any contemporary radiators which look as nice as the old salvaged ones.

So if I go ahead with salvaged rads, how will they perform compared to a modern day version? If there is a reduced output, is it enough to justify forgetting about old school rads?

Any advice appreciated.
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

My concern would be how badly pitted/rusted they were on the inside which u cant see.
    If cast iron, can have hairline cracks from poor handling.
    In summary, IMO, dont:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

I was actually looking at Rads today. Even if the rads you picked up in salvage were in 100% as new condition, they still wouldn't be nearly as efficient as modern ones.

Also, like the previous poster, I would be seriously worried about what kind of state they are in. Particularly with Rust inside.

In short, I think you would be letting yourself in for a whole world of grief.

Advertisement