Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing a new rabbit for company

Options
  • 15-07-2009 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

This isn't a necessity, but more something that might be nice to do. We have a year old neutered male rabbit, living indoors in a large enclosure with the run of the home while others are home, but I'm concerned by the amount of time spent alone and the long term affects on his behaviour of same. Can anyone say from personal experience how easy it would be to introduce a new rabbit (presumably younger and smaller) to him at this stage...he is relatively protective of what he considers his area although not overly so and is not agressive otherwise.

Failing that, are there other solutions...I know radios left on as background noise can work well for dogs to keep their senses occupied, would the same apply for rabbits??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 jonoliver28

This isn't a necessity, but more something that might be nice to do. We have a year old neutered male rabbit, living indoors in a large enclosure with the run of the home while others are home, but I'm concerned by the amount of time spent alone and the long term affects on his behaviour of same. Can anyone say from personal experience how easy it would be to introduce a new rabbit (presumably younger and smaller) to him at this stage...he is relatively protective of what he considers his area although not overly so and is not agressive otherwise.

Failing that, are there other solutions...I know radios left on as background noise can work well for dogs to keep their senses occupied, would the same apply for rabbits??

TBH i go out most weekends and leave the telly on for the cats, however i don't like rabbits much, which is most likely why i go hunting for them every weekend, have a chat with it and let him know how lucky he really is: if all fails let me know i can sort him out for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JessieJames

hey i am in the same position i think my bun gets lonely but i find she really likes watching the tv she just flops down sprawls out and watches it, she loves teddys as company too (i think she thinks they are real lol :))
    TBH i go out most weekends and leave the telly on for the cats, however i don't like rabbits much, which is most likely why i go hunting for them every weekend, have a chat with it and let him know how lucky he really is: if all fails let me know i can sort him out for ya

WTF ???????????

• Registered Users Posts: 31 jonoliver28

I hut wild rabbits, however the little fluffy white ones you keep as pets are very lucky, i think if you read a little story before you go out, it might make it feel a little better :D

either that or let it into the wild for us boys, great for watching foxs attack

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

"TBH i go out most weekends and leave the telly on for the cats, however i don't like rabbits much, which is most likely why i go hunting for them every weekend, have a chat with it and let him know how lucky he really is: if all fails let me know i can sort him out for ya"

That's not in any way helpful to the OP go troll somewhere else!

To OP I think it would be a good idea for you to get a wee buddy for your bun. They are very social critters and since he's neutered already half the battle is done already.

A spayed female should work out well, some rescues may have a lone spayed female looking for a buddy. Limerick animal welfare have buns atm I think. The DSPCA also do usually but no idea if they spay them before hand.

Once spayed and given a couple of weeks for the hormones to calm down, introducing them on neutral territory gradually and they should become best buddies and snuggle up together.

They really do love company and you'll feel less guilty if you have to go out anywhere. Sounds like a lovely set up and if you go through a good rescue if the first rabbit clashes then perhaps they can try and pair your bun up with another one.

Advertisement