Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help please Outlook has lost everything emails contacts

Options
  • 15-07-2009 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Correcting one problem has caused many more.

I reset my factory settings trying to fix something else which I have posted and I had to resync my Outlook again with eircom. When I got back in all my email and contact details are gone. 7 years worth. Anyone have any idea how to get them back? It like a fresh brand new account but it is still my email and same details.

Eircom could not help I did try them. Microsoft want a credit card which I do not have.

This would mean alot to me. I am in knots

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

There is an option to leave a copy of emails on the server when you set it up in Outlook. Was this turned on?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Sparklingangel

It was set up a good few years ago i dont remember and would not know where to look. I just went into tools and options and did not see this setting. I only reset it this morning and this option was not presented in wizard. I had eircom on the phone guiding me and giving me my pop3 addresses etc. But he did not mention this to me.

Just spoke to eircom again. they said no. There is nothing on server. Anyone know if there is anything stored on my hard drive and if U can get it back

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sure. Don't use Outlook until we get this sorted. Now, is it Outlook Express, Outlook 2000, 2003, etc? Have recovered the file before for one of the users.

Thank you so much. no pressure to perform but any help would be great. Its outlook 2003. Windows XP Microsoft. Dell dimension. Suffering with a bit of dimesion myself after this. thank you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Is there a pst or ost file in your outlook folder? ost file can be found in:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.ost for the ost files

and all pst files can be found in the same folder but have the pst extension rather than ost obviosly.

Also your contacts maybe in the folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

and will have the NK2 file extension.

If these files are there then you can add the ost and pst files trough the DATA FILE MANAGEMENT toolin outlook itself, just click on File and then expand the options out and you will see it.

See does this help? :D

Could not find outlook, but found a contacts folder in documents and settings user name. Contacts was empty. What a lesson this is. You are all so good to give suggestions. :confused:

/edit
    Before you do the below, go into My Computer, Tools, Options, View, Show hidden files, and untick the two "hide" boxes underneath it, or you won't find the Application Data, or a few other things...
    1. Quit Outlook.
    2. Check in Start > Settings > Control Panel > Mail > Show Profiles, and take note of the profile name
    3. Goto C:\Documents and Settings\[YOUR USERNAME HERE]\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
    4. Look for the largest/newest file that ends with NK2.
    5. Copy it, and rename the copied NK2 file to what the profile from Step 2 was called, but leave the extension .nk2 on it.
    6. Start up Outlook, using the same profile.
    This should sort it out.

Thanks when I get as far as my username/microsoft. Inside that microsoft file the only options are two folders internet or protect. Inside the internet folder there is 3 other files. quick launch, brindlog.bak and a txt brindlog. no outlook in here I have tried both my user name and administrator as I am both.. Sorry if I am frustrating you.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

When you reset to factory settings? was it for the whole compluter or just outlook/office?

• Advertisement

The whole computer as I was having trouble copying a file to my CD rom. Said administrator has to give me permission and I am the administrator. Another days problem. But it was the whole pc. I kept all my pictures and documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The .nk2 file is the least of your difficulties at the moment - only your autocomplete or nicknames are stored in there if you even have one, none of your mails ever are.

You will need to have hidden/system files revealed as outlined above but if you wiped your whole machine after backing up what you thought was all your documents, if you press F3 (or start->search) to do a search on your machine, enter *.pst to do a search for pst files and then enter *.ost to do a search for ost files and if both searches come up blank, your Outlook email file wasn't one of the files you backed up and you're out of luck.

By default, Outlook doesn't put that file in the same area you store your documents so unless you specifically backed it up, I'd say you're certainly out of luck. Try the search anyway.

Dampsquid wrote: »
    When you reset to factory settings? was it for the whole compluter or just outlook/office?
    The whole computer
    Erm, how did you reset "the whole computer"? Did you use a CD to reinstall the Windows from scratch...?

Sceptra - tried that and it was empty. but thanks

syco - I uninstalled office 2003 and reinstalled. As I had a few glips, none of which where fixed with the reinstallation.

I have resigned myself to believing I messed up and it all gone. I just now have to figure out how to save the whole outlook folder somewhere else as back up and print it off to have as hard copy.

One very silly girl who has learned a big lesson

Advertisement