Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to become a dog owner

Options
  • 15-07-2009 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭

Hi looking to get a dog. (Previously had 2 dogs growing up with my parents but would now like one of my own since moving into my house)

Where can I look in terms of looking at getting a puppy ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

D3PO wrote: »
    Hi looking to get a dog. (Previously had 2 dogs growing up with my parents but would now like one of my own since moving into my house)

Where can I look in terms of looking at getting a puppy ?

Thanks

Would you be interested in a 5 months old Border Collie girl? Affectionate and good with kids....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Would you be interested in a 5 months old Border Collie girl? Affectionate and good with kids....

My girlfriend had a border collie for 14 years before the dog passed away. I think having another one would remind her too much of her old dog :(

I really apprecaite the offer though otherwise Id definatly say yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

D3PO,

If you do a search of this forum for pups or puppy you'll get lots of new owner information from experienced owners. Even if you're not looking to get a pup (which requires lots of time and attention) this info can be useful when getting a dog too.
    Decide obviously in regards to your home / situation which dog/pup you could best provide for. Obviously a larger breed would need more roaming space and need to be walked more, so make sure you can provide what they'll need.
    Pup will require a lot of time and patience and training in the beginning, so if noones going to be home for most of the day it's not a good idea if you won't be able to put in the hours.

You've had dogs when you were younger so you're not clueless :) Just make sure you choose the one that you feel you can give the best home to. You can go to the DSPCA or your local one and see if there are any dogs that really need homes that fit into your heart. If not, you can try the likes of donedeal.ie and buy&sell.ie (but please please be vigilant of these people, honest people/reputable breeders won't mind sharing any info you require, but there are some out there who don't really care about animals and just want the money).

(don't forget to get your dog license, get them chipped/vaccinated, neutered if you want, and a collar :) )

And you can ask people here as many questions as you like :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I was just looking at the Dogs in Distress website today, you should really have a look, there are some gorgeous puppies there - my favourites are these two and this one! Unfortunately I won't be in a position where I can keep a dog for a couple of years yet, I don't have the time or the space :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 laceyl

puppy rescue inistoige. the woman down there is super nice, and she has loads of dogs and puppies needing good home its worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

thanks guys apprecaite the advise. will let you know how i get on.

Advertisement