Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamster wobbly and not as mobile - 'just' old age?

Options
  • 15-07-2009 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

Right, so my hamster has been going downhill in the last two weeks.

He hasn't come out of his house as much as he used to (he used to be out and about from about 9 pm onwards, up and down the cage/couch if I took him out), and he seems very unsteady on his feet. He's wobbling around, if that makes sense? And his hind legs are almost like he doesn't have too much control over them, he tends to drag them a bit now. :(
    Also, any treats offered to him (that he used to go mad for) are not interesting anymore, he'll take one nibble and then ignore it. He does eat, though, he doesn't look unhealthy or too skinny.

He's probably not the youngest anymore, I've had him for about a year, and I'm not entirely sure how long his previous owner had him for, so I'm not sure how old the little fellow actually is.

Is this 'just' old age? :( Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It sounds like old age was he a fully grown adult when you got him?

They do tend to get wibbly on their feet and slow down and awful lot and it usually happens quickly but they can still totter about for a good while.

Perhaps try giving him a drop of honey to keep his energy levels up and a little grape. He'll probably sleep a lot now even at night. But as long as you know he's not in pain and is comfortable the best thing is to keep him warm and cosy and make sure he's drinking.

Perhaps move his food bowl and water right near his bed so he doesn't have to go far for it.

Although if worried about him and if you suspect he could of had a tumble or something then the vet will be able to check him over to confirm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Hi Op,

This happened with a hamster I had as a young 'un. We had him about 4 years & found that he found moving quite difficult & had got quite swollen. We brought him to the vet who said that he had a large tunour in his tummy so he had to be put asleep, he was the only hamster I had that I actually liked.

Hopefully this isnt whats wrong with yours though but best of luck anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

It sounds like old age was he a fully grown adult when you got him?
    Perhaps try giving him a drop of honey to keep his energy levels up and a little grape. He'll probably sleep a lot now even at night. But as long as you know he's not in pain and is comfortable the best thing is to keep him warm and cosy and make sure he's drinking.

Thanks for that :)
    he was definitely fully grown when I got him, probably about a year and a half old? Something along those lines.
    I'll try giving him honey, see if he likes that. I know he likes grapes, but never thought of honey!

Maddison wrote: »
    Hi Op,

This happened with a hamster I had as a young 'un. We had him about 4 years & found that he found moving quite difficult & had got quite swollen. We brought him to the vet who said that he had a large tunour in his tummy so he had to be put asleep, he was the only hamster I had that I actually liked.

Hopefully this isnt whats wrong with yours though but best of luck anyway :)

Eek, that's terrible :(
    My fella isn't swollen, though, thank god... he looks normal - the only thing is, and I'm not sure how else to say it - he looks old ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

All my hamsters went like that when they got old. I took all the levels out of their cages so they didn't have to climb (they used to get stuck on the ladders because their legs weren't as good) and made sure the water and food was near their houses.

• Advertisement

In general they live till 2 or 2 and a half, 2 and a half is a good age for a hammie main thing is his comfy.

In general they live till 2 or 2 and a half, 2 and a half is a good age for a hammie main thing is his comfy.
    :( yep, and I'll do my best to keep him comfy.
    Thanks for all the replies guys

Do they cause I could have swore mine was much older than that....but then again when your a child you feel as if time dragged when It actually flew in....wish I was a kid again :(

"Do they cause I could have swore mine was much older than that....but then again when your a child you feel as if time dragged when It actually flew in....wish I was a kid again"

Yeh, in general 2 1/2 is a very good age for a hammie but have heard of some lucky hamsters living a little longer. Is it possible your parents might of 'replaced' him at some stage lol. Then again you do find time moves slower as a kid.

Think (correct moi if wrong) the Guiness record for the longest lived hammie was 6 years of age.

Ohhh no I knew our Harry, he was a legend!!!Yeah he defo lived for about 4 years just rang my sis to verify:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement