Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much Dublin to Cork now Motorway?

Options
  • 15-07-2009 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭

I travel to kerry a lot and normally go via limerick

I hear a lot recently about how the M8 has developed, with someone suggesting yesterday that Dub to cork could be done in 2.5 hours or so

I am considering trying the M8 which means travelling it as far as Mitchelstown before going off vis Mallow into North east kerry

How much of the route from the M7/M8 junction at portlaoise to Mitchelstown is Motorway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

77 km, from Mitchelstown to Culahill is motorway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

the whole route is now m-way with the exception of the bit around abbeyleix durrow and cullahill. next year for those 3

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

well I'll give it a go tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Riskymove wrote: »
    well I'll give it a go tomorrow
    Mitchelstown to Mallow is a disaster of a road. I'm from North Cork and I always go to Dublin via Limerick. Much faster tbh. If I was closer to Fermoy I'd go via the M8 but you lose at least 45mins getting from where I am to Mitchelstown and that's not counting the very good chance of you getting stuck behind a tractor/artic/combine on that very narrow road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

KerranJast wrote: »
    Mitchelstown to Mallow is a disaster of a road. I'm from North Cork and I always go to Dublin via Limerick. Much faster tbh. If I was closer to Fermoy I'd go via the M8 but you lose at least 45mins getting from where I am to Mitchelstown and that's not counting the very good chance of you getting stuck behind a tractor/artic/combine on that very narrow road.

The N72 is horrendous indeed. But I reckon Mallow - Mitchelstown (N73 > N72), Mitch - M8 (N72 > R639 > M8) is quicker than going via the N20 and up to the N7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

Well when the M7 is completely motorway from Dublin to Limerick by the end of the year your choice will be easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

In early december the M7 Limerick Nenagh will open so, its all going to be obvious the M7 will be more direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

3 hours from Dublin to Cork if Abbeyleix is not too busy at 120kmh the whole way outside of those few towns after Abbeyleix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

kmick wrote: »
    3 hours from Dublin to Cork if Abbeyleix is not too busy at 120kmh the whole way outside of those few towns after Abbeyleix.

3 hours??

What kept ya?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Naas-Portlaoise and Cullahill-Watergrasshill are motorway.

• Advertisement

1huge1 wrote: »
    Well when the M7 is completely motorway from Dublin to Limerick by the end of the year your choice will be easy.

well yes I am looking forward to it but until then.....plus there are often serious traffic issues at places like Adare, Newcastle west etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Riskymove wrote: »
    well yes I am looking forward to it but until then.....plus there are often serious traffic issues at places like Adare, Newcastle west etc

A few weeks ago I was travelling from Kerry to Dublin.
    Went via Limerick going to Dublin and coming back went via Fermoy(M8)

The road from Fermoy to Mallow isint great either. The N21/N7 is still a better option plus Abbeyleix was jammed up when I passed through there. You will encounter little traffic congestion on the N7.

tech2 wrote: »
    A few weeks ago I was travelling from Kerry to Dublin.
    Went via Limerick going to Dublin and coming back went via Fermoy(M8)

The road from Fermoy to Mallow isint great either. The N21/N7 is still a better option plus Abbeyleix was jammed up when I passed through there. You will encounter little traffic congestion on the N7.

I took the route as planned and it took about 15/20 mins longer than the usual N7 route, but....I was moving the whole time and there's a lot to be said for cruising on a motorway

on the way back I tried via charleville, tipperary and onto M8 at Cashel, around the same time and only a few minutes delay at abbeyleix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Dublin (M50) to Naas: dual-carriageway, 19 km @ 100km/h

Naas to Portlaoise: motorway, 47 km @ 120 km/h

Portlaoise to Cullahill: single carriageway via Abbeyleix and Durrow, 30 km @ 100 km/h (50 km/h through Abbeyleix, Durrow and Cullahill)

Cullahill to Cork (Dunkettle): motorway*, 130 km @ 120 km/h

Cullahill to M8 jct 13 (near Mitchelstown): motorway, 83 km @ 120 km/h

*final 13.5 km to Dunkettle still dual-carriageway until redesignation takes effect on 28/08/09.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

KerranJast wrote: »

Im also 45 minutes from Mitchelstown and from North Cork, at present though I use that route but when the M7 is finished i will revert to this route although it is 10 miles longer.The N72 is probably the worst N road in the country (waits for contradiction...)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

the N66 is worse, the road to An Daingean Ui Cuis from Annascaul is dire, and the N56 from Gaoith Dobhair to the R262 turn off is desperate.

Parts of the N52 near Borrisokane are shockingly bad too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 holyjoe

does the motorway extend all the way from cullahill to cork now?
    last time i was on it stops outside mitchelstown so you are on normal roads until fermoy bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

holyjoe wrote: »
    does the motorway extend all the way from cullahill to cork now?QUOTE]
    yup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

I've done Cork to red cow in around 2 hours but I was lifting. Was also early in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

I've done Cork to red cow in around 2 hours but I was lifting. Was also early in the morning.

Should be possible to do Dunkettle to the M50 in about 2 hours 15 minutes once the under construction sections of the M8/M7 are completed.

Pretty good compared to even two years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,492 ✭✭✭✭L1011

and the N56 from Gaoith Dobhair to the R262 turn off is desperate.

This has suffered, heavily, from being an NRA road. All the major regional routes in Donegal have had minor realignments, widening, new surfaces and pavement work done along huge stretches while the N56 - only Secondary in the county I think - has had the Mountcharles bypass, the work at Mountain Top and a realignment outside Dungloe - which I've a feeling may have been done by DCC!

the the N56 from Gaoith Dobhair to the R262 turn off is desperate.

That part is actually very scary to drive, extemely dangerous and to add a few Donegal drivers to the mix as well for good measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Nice Uncle P

tech2 wrote: »
    That part is actually very scary to drive, extemely dangerous and to add a few Donegal drivers to the mix as well for good measure.
    N84 between Ballinrobe and Kilmaine, N59 between Westport and Newport shudder!

N84 between Ballinrobe and Kilmaine, N59 between Westport and Newport shudder!

I used to drive the N84 every second week last summer some nice humps every minute and some hairpins to take as well, the 100km/hr is achievable if you want to end up in the ditch. I've driven most of the N59 not great either. But seriously that part of the N56 needs some serious attention very soon.

Advertisement