Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant "Exceptional Circumstance"

Options
  • 15-07-2009 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am in the process of applying for a grant. I was made redundant last year so I meet all the requirments for everything except residency. I was born and reared in Galway moved away to work for 7 years up to Dub and now back here since March.

It says you have to be resident in the county your applying since 1st oct 08. It does also say on citizens information website that it can be waved in exceptional circumstances. Is this one?

I suppose I could move home but they my parents would be assessed but as my Dad is unemployed since March and my mother is a home maker they havent a penny either. But would they assess his last years income?

I dont know what to do for the best-anyone been in a similar situation or know a bit about the grant system?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi Clueless

Afaik you can apply to the County council / VEC where you were resident on 1st Oct 2008 even if you are not now living in that area. You would need proof of address I think though.

Wait, you were in Ireland on the 1st of October 2008? If so it sounds like you'll definitely get a grant, no problem with that. It's generally referring to people who haven't been in the country last October the 1st, and I assume saying that if you lived in Dublin last October the 1st you apply there, but give them Galway CC a call and let them know what the situation is. It'd be very silly to have to apply over the other side of the country when you're not there anymore.

As for moving home, yes your parents would be assessed too, but if he is unemployed they'd take that into account as a change in circumstances rather than look at his income for 2008.

Hope it works out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Clueless09

hi guys-thanks for the replies. Ya Donal, ive lived in Ireland all my life just not in Galway the whole time! thanks very much for the replies again-ill give them a quick ring and ask which one to apply to so, hopefully ill get something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

Hi Clueless2009,
    Im in the same situation. You just need to apply to the relevant vec office of where you were living on the 1st october 2008. You would probably be better off if you do not move back into your parents home. You will need a copy of your rp50 form and make sure to write a note at the end of the form about been made redundant as its not an actual question on the form.

Advertisement