Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capella - stunning sight

Options
  • 15-07-2009 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭

All stars are impressive and the more luminous ones will always thrill that little bit more. However, the scintillating colours of Capella when it is low in the sky, like last night towards the North, are among nature's great wonders. Something to do with shining through more atmosphere when it is low in the sky, a sort of prismatic effect. Apparently it is really 4 stars together but appears to be a unit to us on Earth.

Anyone else think this star is particularly gorgeous?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I wish I could see it better, but my horizon is permanantly blocked by houses/city glow. About what time is it highest?

Yah, it really is a jewel.

@ efla: It'll reach its max. alt. at midnight, but unforunately at this time of the year that's less than ~20 degrees above the horizon (roughly - that's a guess).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 murphyme

Yes, It's a fab site.

I live in south Dublin and it's the only star cutting through the light pollution low down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

It's a catch 22 for Efla and other people in that situation.

The thing that makes Capella twinkle is being low to the horizon (shining through more of Earth's atmosphere to get to your eye). AFAIK at other times of the year, it climbs up higher in the sky but colourwise reverts to a regular whitish/yellowish glow.

I'm on the outskirts of Galway City myself so some light pollution, but not too many hills or buildings to contend with at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

topper75 wrote: »
    It's a catch 22 for Efla and other people in that situation.

The thing that makes Capella twinkle is being low to the horizon (shining through more of Earth's atmosphere to get to your eye). AFAIK at other times of the year, it climbs up higher in the sky but colourwise reverts to a regular whitish/yellowish glow.

I'm on the outskirts of Galway City myself so some light pollution, but not too many hills or buildings to contend with at least.

Stellarium tells me it should reach above 20 deg at midnight by September. I didnt realise it reached 80 deg (alt) - it probably doesnt look as striking with less atmosphere though? Anyway, that whole horizon is a permanant no-go :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement