Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinchilla cage

Options
  • 15-07-2009 8:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hey all,

Right so i purchased 2 chinchillas and a cage yesterday after reading up and resourcing about them. The cage i have is going to be temporary as i will be building a better one for them in time. So what i'm basically on here for is to see do ye have any ideas for cages and stuff (i have searched thru google and got a few ideas but would like to hear more). Also in their cage atm they are living in a 3 sided box made of untreated wood but id like to put another half to it to make it bigger and properly enclosed but how do i go about "sticking" this, can i actually use glue? :confused:

If ye have anything else information wise you might think i will benefit from please advise me. I know they are active animals and need stimulation etc, so wood blocks, toilet rolls (without glue and paper obv) what else can i make/use? I saw the pet shop had a wheel in with theirs but is like 35e ish for it so left it for now but what are yer opinions on them?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Hammocks are great and you can just make your own for a j-cloth or piece of matieral. Just sew a seam on each side and thread some twine through (there are tutorial on the interwebs!)

Also sleeves from old cotton tops stuffed with fluff, tissue, straw and paper...they love pulling the stuffing out and rearranging it in their beds!!

Defo save up for that wheel and they will love you forever!!

Thick reptile vines (from pet stores) use these to fashion 'branches criss-crossing the top of the cage for them to climb on. It's best if you twist some together to make sure they can hold the weight of your little beasts!

I have a Degu (close relative to Chins) and do the above for him!! Keeps him happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Aimee_gleeson

And is it not dangerous if they eat the j cloth? Yah im deffo going to save up for the wheel, is there anywhere online i can get one? Ireland based?

Anyone have any other information for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Nah they just shred it and use it as bedding!! Make sure it is a new one that has been rinsed out and dried.

Advertisement