Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 (B7) 2.0 T FSI

Options
  • 14-07-2009 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

Thinking about getting one of these. A few questions.

1. I'm guessing that with 200bhp its fairly peppy. Is it the same engine as in the Golf GTi ?

2. What sort of milewage will I get out of it. Parkers.co.uk says 34mpg but I dunno would this be 100% correct.

3. As Audi's come, is this a reliable model. What are servicing costs like ?

4. According to Parkers, the standard multitronic gearbox is a CVT. If it is a CVT does this mean there is no semi-auto option on the gearbox ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

That engines sounds great on paper, can't remember any reviews. I'd have to have Quattro though. Having experiece of FWD, RWD and AWD it'd be very hard to go back to a front-driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

pburns wrote: »
    That engines sounds great on paper, can't remember any reviews. I'd have to have Quattro though. Having experiece of FWD, RWD and AWD it'd be very hard to go back to a front-driver.

Completely slipped my mind that its a FWD being an Audi. How would a FWD be like with 200bhp. In fact, I'd say you could prob squeeze at least another 40 bhp out of that engine with an engine remap.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Some audi front drives are disasterous. That model A4 was pretty good though I think. 200 bhp may be pushing it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,140 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd be looking looking for the Quattro version with that engine to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

34mpg is optimistic, most GTi owners struggle to get above 30. Front end traction is a bit of a joke in the GTi imo, 1st is near useless so quattro would be desirable.

In saying all that the 2L TFSI is a peach to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Neighbour has the DTM edition of this car. Think it's a Quattro. I dunno about fuel economy but it most definitely moves:D

Guys, any details on the auto gearbox ?

http://www.autotrader.ie/search/Audi/A4/2.0-T-FS/200930194667842/advert?channel=CARS

Anyone guess at how much I could get this car down to ?

Would 22k be too low to start off with ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Guys, any details on the auto gearbox ?

Any difference you feel in the CVT gearbox will all be inside the casing - you can still do the "tiptronic" think and you have normal and sport mode.

CVT is a much smoother ride than normal auto gearboxes - the CVT concept doesn't have gears, and so doesn't have any jerkiness when changing gears.

-Chris- wrote: »
    Any difference you feel in the CVT gearbox will all be inside the casing - you can still do the "tiptronic" think and you have normal and sport mode.

CVT is a much smoother ride than normal auto gearboxes - the CVT concept doesn't have gears, and so doesn't have any jerkiness when changing gears.

I find the concept of using a CVT to create artificial gears for semi-auto usage to be very strange. If anything you are not using the gearbox optimally.

Optimally you'd hold the revs at peak torque and let the gearbox adjust adjust you're speed.

• Advertisement

I'd say the gearbox is a lot more efficient in auto mode than manual mode - the computer's prob smarter than the driver :p
    I'd say manual mode was included more because people expected it than because the gearbox needed it.

In use, I don't see why you'd have it in manual mode. Auto is more than enough.

Found this car on CBG.

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=2972425

29k seems crazy. Anyone advise how much I could get it down to ? WOuld 22k be pushing it. I doubt anyone will pay 29k or anything near it for that car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Found this car on CBG.

29k seems crazy. Anyone advise how much I could get it down to ? WOuld 22k be pushing it. I doubt anyone will pay 29k or anything near it for that car.

That is crazy money, I wouldn't pay 22k for it either.The just as quick and sportier looking Octavia VRS can be got for 10k.Its an A4, 200bhp petrol, its not something you should be paying big for!!! AWD would be nice and all, but its not worth paying that much extra for, especially with only 200bhp to play with.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200929194597984

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Found this car on CBG.

Offer them €17k. Seriously. They're in laalaa land looking for that much.
    There's two on Carzone for €21k.

Speaking of which, is this person on drugs?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A4/1.8--Tur/200930194711173/advert?channel=CARS4

Heroditas wrote: »
    Offer them €17k. Seriously. They're in laalaa land looking for that much.
    There's two on Carzone for €21k.

Speaking of which, is this person on drugs?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A4/1.8--Tur/200930194711173/advert?channel=CARS4

I'd say I'd be told to **** off if I said 17k. The problem is that it is the only 2.0 TFSI Quattro for sale in Ireland (The other two are English and might not even exist). Doesn't give me a lot of room for saying the car is completely over valued by the seller.

Would love to know how long the car has been up on CBG for though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Would love to know how long the car has been up on CBG for though.

If you can find that out, it'll help your bargaining an awful lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,140 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A 2.0 litre petrol Audi A4 is hardly a car in high demand in this country so there should be some flexability on the price. Why not call into the dealer and ask them what is the lowest cash price they would except for the car?

BTW you will not get that bottom price over the phone either, you need to be in front of the salesperson so they know you are serious.

Find out what one costs (do the sums for importing or find similar in Ireland - eg. same engine but non-quattro).
    If you can't do that, find out what they paid for it new and look up what the UK Glass's Guide says the % value is for that car at that age and mileage. That should give you a good indication of its value.

The fact that they've put ono in the ad says they're very willing to bargain with you.
    Call them up and say "I'm very interested and I think I'll buy it as soon as I see it, but my budget is in the low-€20Ks. Am I wasting my time coming to see it?".
    Their answer will tell you a lot.

Odds are this car is priced based on some factor like what they have outstanding on their loan.
    The reality is that the car's only worth what someone's willing to buy it for, and in the current market very few people are interested in high-power petrol saloons with 4 wheel drive.

Advertisement