Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my cat has post traumatic stress!

Options
  • 14-07-2009 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi guy's it me from the "can I give my cat a painkiller" thread.

well the progress on Tigger, is that he has very bad diarrhoea, and I actually did think he was poisoned. I got back onto the vet and she said that he may have post traumatic stress from the prolapsed bowl, I'm bringing him back in the morning as she said he needs another shot of antibiotics. has anyone else heard of this? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭tormented

Ah the poor little pet, and you! God thats awful, why are people so mean to cats:mad: Cats can get severely stressed like other animals and humans, when my cat got a bad injury last year he cried like a baby when he wasn't being held! A prolapsed bowl isn't going to be an overnight healer so I'd say your vet is right to continue the medication, if you're not sure yourself maybe call another vet in the area and get a 2nd opinion, give Tigger a kiss from me;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭magenta73

Thanks tormented, well had him back at the vet this morning and it looks like he was poisoned alright!, they kept him in and sedated him and he's now hooked up to a drip and antibiotics. I'm devestated to think that someone would do that. It's not rat poision as the vet said he would be much worse, I've just been on the phone and they said he was perking up so that's good news, I'm still devestated though, cryed like a baby all the way home.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭w@ll3gurl

Aw magenta, so sorry to hear about your cat, hopefully he will be home soon and on the mend. I have heard of PT stress in cats, we had a cat hit by a car years ago and although he was ok, he kind of went into a depressed / shock state for about a week. He came back to himself really well though, with just some vet treatment and TLC @ home. I've seen many a cat come through some bad injuries and incidents, so with lots of attention and care they are hardy animals. Good vibes to Tigger! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭magenta73

thanks guys for all the good wishes!, I cant wait to get him home. I dont want to let him out anymore, just keep him in, but my husband said it's not fair on him to keep him in all of the time, I dont know what to do! what would you guys do?

thanks again for the support

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 j2009

Some medications used to treat people are toxic to cats. Paracetamol, a common pain killer, is extremely toxic to them. If your cat is in pain, get something proven safe for them from a vet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

magenta73 wrote: »
    thanks guys for all the good wishes!, I cant wait to get him home. I dont want to let him out anymore, just keep him in, but my husband said it's not fair on him to keep him in all of the time, I dont know what to do! what would you guys do?

thanks again for the support

There is nothing remotely unfair about keeping a cat indoors if you make provisions to entertain them.

It's great to be able to allow your cat time in the sunshine to chase insects, but unless you can cat-proof your garden so it can't escape, then you leave it open to injury, accident and also you inflict your animal on other people - it shits in their garden, pees to mark its territory, it can wind up their dogs and cats and make them very stressed - it's really not neighbourly, especially not in a built up area.

It will take your cat some time to adjust to being an indoor cat, but it's up to you to make that transition more like a game and less like a punishment. Also, beware anthropomorphising your pet - "He is miaowing, so he is sad." or "He hates it inside this house." or "He is miserable being cooped up". It is not good practice when changing a cat's behaviour to lapse in your determination and shift the goalposts e.g. if you're keeping it in, then it's in. Don't cave and let it out every four days. That's just playing with the cat's little fuzzy brain and isn't fair.

Indoors, your cat needs some toys and a scratching post (the scratching thing is very important). Play with your kitty more and it will start to lose the urge to be outside. They will always sit looking out the window, but it shouldn't take more than two weeks for the cat to stop charging the door when it's open.

Remember - animals feed off your stress. If you're stressing about them being outside, and you're lamenting the misery they're in while they're indoors - they'll feed off your unhappiness and reflect your mood.

Best case scenario - see if you can get hubby to take on an outdoor cat run as a project. That's best of both worlds territory.

Advertisement