Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An odd question about calculators...

Options
  • 14-07-2009 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭

I never thought I'd be asking the maths forum for this sort of question, but I'm looking for a scientific calculator recommendation!

The reasons why I don't want to go for the typical casio FX85whatever are that it has no straightforward off button (just some messing around with a 2ndF button and the AC button on the opposite side of the pad).

Also, it doesn't seem to have any proper recall facility. As in, if I do a number of separate calculations, I can't go back to a calculation 3 or 4 results ago and use the actual result in another calculation directly, or more importantly I don't think I can edit previous calculations.

So really I just want a calculator where the above two things aren't an issue. And I'm open to suggestions on graphing calcs but I can't use them in exams.

I miss the casio Fx83-wa in some ways... Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

The fact that you need to press two buttons instead on one to turn it off seems a rather minor reason to be rejecting the Casio fx-85ES or fx83ES. Bear in mind that, given that the 85 is dual powered (i.e. solar with battery back-up) you needn't bother turning it off at all, and the battery would still last years, I'm guessing.

Both of them do, in fact, have multiple replay facility, and the way they can handle roots, logs and trig functions is pretty cool, so unless there was something else you were really looking for...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yeah, the shift + AC button thing is minor. But it's annoying, and my attitude is that it's not particularly hard to implement a single off button so it makes the lack of one worse. But it's just a matter of personal taste.

I used to have the fx83es and the Fx115**. I remember at least one of those refused to handle previous inputted sums/equations properly. I'll try to get a lend of one again and will decide on them.

Is there any choice beyond just the fx83es and its siblings? Assuming the sharp calculators still have this stupid separate button to make a number negative, it rules them out.

Advertisement