Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thurles - Galway Train Question

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

see here, track improvement works are taking place so better to get a bus from thurles to galway
    http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=405

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Currently looking at travel options for this also.

Train and bus options look pretty dire. I wonder will they put on special/direct buses or anything?

Anyone recommend the best driving route (Galway City-Thurles)? Have never driven this route myself before; someone else always drove on previous occasions and from what I can remember the roads are quite poor (didn't pay a huge amount of attention as a passenger though).

If I do end up driving I was nearly thinking something like via Limerick & Tipperary & Cashel - does that sound crazy?
    I don't mind the drive to Limerick (have Dual Carriageway from Crusheen down to the City) and would have the M8 from Cashel to Thurles. Just not sure about traffic in Limerick and the road from Limerick to Cashel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

I'd like you assistance if you could. I'm going to Thurles on Saturday for the hurling. The return table is a bit confusing. There is a blank space by the Thurles - Galway route but the Thurles - Athenry route as times marked.

Is there a bus going from Thurles - Galway after 9pm? Or is it just to Athenry.

Thanks
    [/URL]

Unfortunately no public transport option will get you from Thurles to Galway after 9pm.

Your best bet is to probably take the bus from Galway to Limerick and the train from there to Thurles, and then return to Limerick, overnight there and bus back the next morning.

Bus Times
    http://www.citylink.ie/timetable-galw2cork.htm
    http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1243343194-51.pdf

Trains are running to an altered schedule this weekend due to engineering works at Limerick Junction, so there are direct trains running between Thurles and Limerick.

The times are in the journey planner.

Alternatively, train to Thurles on Saturday via Portarlington, and return via Dublin on Sunday, but I think that the bus/train via Limerick might be the faster option.

Otherwise the only suggestion I have is that you get a lift from someone or see if there are private coaches making the journey!

KevR wrote: »
    Currently looking at travel options for this also.

Train and bus options look pretty dire. I wonder will they put on special/direct buses or anything?

Anyone recommend the best driving route (Galway City-Thurles)? Have never driven this route myself before; someone else always drove on previous occasions and from what I can remember the roads are quite poor (didn't pay a huge amount of attention as a passenger though).

If I do end up driving I was nearly thinking something like via Limerick & Tipperary & Cashel - does that sound crazy?
    I don't mind the drive to Limerick (have Dual Carriageway from Crusheen down to the City) and would have the M8 from Cashel to Thurles. Just not sure about traffic in Limerick and the road from Limerick to Cashel.

Take the N6, then follow the N65 to Borrisokane via Portumna, the R497 to Nenagh and then the R498 to Thurles via Borrisoleigh.

That is the most direct route.

KC61 wrote: »
    Take the N6, then follow the N65 to Borrisokane via Portumna, the R497 to Nenagh and then the R498 to Thurles via Borrisoleigh.

That is the most direct route.

What's the road like after the N6 turn off?

• Advertisement

It's single carriageway all the way, but it saves a wild detour via Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It's very narrow until just before Kilimor, then it widens to Portumna.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've "fixed" the url in the first post, but the link is still borked. How did you create that link?

Running an inter-county game at 7pm is daft. Ask the GAA if any clubs are running buses.

The last train from Portarlington to Galway is 20.07. To make that train, which means leaving Thurles at 18.22, before the game starts.

http://www.gaa.ie/page/gaa_hurling_all_ireland_senior_championship3.html

• Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Irish Rail came back to me. A special train is unlikely.

Thanks Victor!

Looks like I'll be driving anyway.

The Cork fans will have it easy compared to us - they can just whizz up the M8.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Dkettle

Thanks Victor!

Looks like I'll be driving anyway.

The Cork fans will have it easy compared to us - they can just whizz up the M8.

Dunkettle Roundabout to Horse and Jockey in 55 minutes last Sunday, the Cork fans really will have it easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

IIRC, the Nenagh to Thurles road isn't the best, so give yourself a bit more time on that stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Victor wrote: »
    Irish Rail came back to me. A special train is unlikely.

Special train??? Lol.........if you live in any of the hurling towns in Galway you should be able to blag a lift no problem, otherwise book into Hayes Hotel for the night.

Brgds
    Johnny

Advertisement