Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths outside of school?

Options
  • 14-07-2009 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

I'm about to go into 5th year however our school isn't offering applied maths this year due to a lack of demand.
    Where in Dublin can it be studied outside of school?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 davidj_PM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

€930 is a hell of a lot of money for one class every saturday.
    I wouldnt bother with them to be honest.
    As you dont have an applied maths teacher I think the best option is to join up for their christmas course, get roantrees notes, go home and work through all the questions in them.
    The classes themselves didnt help me at all but his notes saved me.
    They are the only comprehensive applied maths resource available in my opinion.
    Then once you have gone through his notes, you should be able to handle all the questions in oliver murphys book.
    Then you could even get your hands on Kevin Conliffes book and work through a few of his questions before moving onto the exam papers.

Roantree only does 5 topics iirc
    -Linear Motion
    -Relative Velocity
    -Projectiles
    -Pulleys and Wedges
    -Collisions

You could teach yourself the differential equations topic from Murphys book and pick up another topic like statics handy enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭dave-higgz

€930 is a hell of a lot of money for one class every saturday.
    I wouldnt bother with them to be honest.
    As you dont have an applied maths teacher I think the best option is to join up for their christmas course, get roantrees notes, go home and work through all the questions in them.
    The classes themselves didnt help me at all but his notes saved me.
    They are the only comprehensive applied maths resource available in my opinion.
    Then once you have gone through his notes, you should be able to handle all the questions in oliver murphys book.
    Then you could even get your hands on Kevin Conliffes book and work through a few of his questions before moving onto the exam papers.

Roantree only does 5 topics iirc
    -Linear Motion
    -Relative Velocity
    -Projectiles
    -Pulleys and Wedges
    -Collisions

You could teach yourself the differential equations topic from Murphys book and pick up another topic like statics handy enough.

I'll be studying HL Maths and Physics, do you think an A1 in Applied maths would require much work on top of the other two subject?

If you have two years, it's easily possible to teach the subject to yourself. Get yourself Fundamental Applied Mathematics by Oliver Murply and get the past papers, preferably the ones from Oliver Murply himself, as they go back further and have numerical answers (not solutions) to the problems.

It isn't a difficult subject to teach yourself (I did it this year in a few months), so there definitely isn't any point in paying one thousand euro to get somebody to teach it to you. Oh, and the internet is a great resource for applied maths.

P.S. I have Fundamental Applied Mathematics, Oliver Murphy's past papers, and the normal past papers. If you want them (for free, of course) drop me a PM with your address, and I'll send them on to you. They're in perfect condition, and it'll save you the guts of fifty euro.
    I'll be studying HL Maths and Physics, do you think an A1 in Applied maths would require much work on top of the other two subject?

It'll require work, yes. It's a different subject, and while it overlaps with both maths and physics, you'll still have to work at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 rheafun

dave-higgz wrote: »
    I'm about to go into 5th year however our school isn't offering applied maths this year due to a lack of demand.
    Where in Dublin can it be studied outside of school?

Thanks.
    My daughter found this course excellent for doing applied maths outside school..
    Hilary Dorgan was her teacher and excellent.
    http://www.leavingcertsolutions.com/mall/leavingcertsolutions/tuition.htm

It's worth considering, on the bus 75 route.

best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭dave-higgz

rheafun wrote: »
    My daughter found this course excellent for doing applied maths outside school..
    Hilary Dorgan was her teacher and excellent.
    http://www.leavingcertsolutions.com/mall/leavingcertsolutions/tuition.htm

It's worth considering, on the bus 75 route.

best of luck

That's great thanks. Much cheaper than the institute, however the 75 is crap btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭gillo_100

due to a lack of demand.

In this case presumably there is a teacher who is able to teach it. Try find out who that is ans see if they would be willing to put on extra classes. You might find there is some others in school who are interested in doing it extra ciricularrly also.

Thats how i did it in my schoo was maybe 5 or 6 from both 5th and 6th year doing one long class a week after school. We paid for it but i know in some school teachers are willing to do it for free. Try ask as sson as you go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

What JammyDodger said. It will still require a lot of work.
    I forgot to mention that there are some pretty good videos here.

I see that they have gone up in price from €10.
    Still worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

don't kid yourself into thinking it'll be easy because ur doing HL maths and physics.

i wish someone told me that 2 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ross S

yeah the 75 really is crap but i heard of a course available in terenure college, (15 bus is alot more reliable) has anyone got any details on that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

Ross S wrote: »
    yeah the 75 really is crap but i heard of a course available in terenure college, (15 bus is alot more reliable) has anyone got any details on that?

Yeah...I did that course with one of our physics teachers. He's fairly alright and his fee is around €430 per year if memory serves. It's one class per week after school every tuesday or thursday, starting around 4:30 and ending roughly at 5:45. Given it was only once a week and I didn't put a huge amount of effort into it, I still did well enough

Advertisement