Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kennel Size

Options
  • 14-07-2009 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

We've just got an Elkhound pup and I'm looking to get a Kennel for her asap. I've seen that they should have turning and standing room in there, but I'm not sure exactly how much is needed. I'm sure a pet shop would be able to give an idea, but can anybody here tell me roughly what size kennel I should be getting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

About 4 foot by 3 foot is big enough for just about any dog, they prefer it nice and cosy not too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If it's just for day time/irregular use then you don't have to go too mad. If it's going to be used a lot a shed might work out cheaper than a kennel. Some kennels are pretty prices esp. the larger ones and you can sometimes get small sheds or potting sheds with shiplap that are cheaper. Check out B&Q and other hardware places to compare the cosyness factor and price you might save a good bit. Sheds are available in all sorts of sizes.

Since the pooch is still a pup if you get an adult sized kennel now it won't hold in the warmth so you might have to go with a smaller kennel for now and then get a larger one later. Either way the pooch needs to be able to stand up straight in it and stretch out fully lying down in it. I find some kennels recommended for breed sizes can be too small, or ok for irregular use but not much good for a long term regularly used kennel.

If you go with a shed you can insulate them or put a lightweight couch in it etc. like that wicker conservatory furniture, perhaps some lino on the floor for easy cleaning etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

It's for daytime use while we're at work. We have a shed already but that is for storing lawnmower, tools etc. so that wouldn't be suitable - size and contents wise. I'll take a look in the likes of B&Q too to see what they have in that kind of size.

Is there any real difference for the dog between wood and plastic or is the difference down to my own aesthetic preferences?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

All the kennels seem to let in rain even the ones with flaps, depends on what way they are facing as well. In general plastic ones are easier to clean and move around but I don't think they are any cosier or warmer than the timber ones. Have both here and they did the job at the time but both aren't great. Avoid the I think it's Barna plastic ones have a small one here and although you can get a flap for the larger ones they do let in water and there's no where for them to drain out of.

The Igloo kennels can be better not sure if they come in elkhound size.

Elkhounds are gorgeous dogs, any piccies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Thanks for the advice - we'll be looking around tomorrow.

Here are a couple of pics, but be warned! Make sure you aren't likely to be adversely affected by pictures of excessive cuteness before viewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

I have a state of the art kennel that I made from a set of plans I got from America. Its the same kennel they use to house the very expensive and highly trained K9 police dogs. Its fully insulated all round, including the floor, walls and roof. The dog's own body heat warms up the interior and the insulation keeps it warm even in the coldest of weather.

If you're interested, I could sell it for €300. Unfortunately my dog got run over so I don't need it anymore. I can safely say its probably the best dog kennel in Ireland.:)

Its kinda like this one but without the windows and a with a felt roof. the entire roof hinges up for access/cleaning. Its raised off the ground by a couple of inches. The wooden walls/floor/roof are made kinda like a cavity wall, with insulation sandwiched inside them.
    T_Archie%20SK.jpg

Advertisement