Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freefall

Options
  • 14-07-2009 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

Freefall tackles head on the extraordinary financial crisis we are currently living through. Written and directed by multiple-Bafta Award-winning Dominic Savage, the film dives into the events that have caused turmoil in so many people's lives.
    Tautly and delicately interwoven, the film follows the lives of three men with everything on the line. Gus (Aidan Gillen) is the high-flying city exec who packages and sells bundles of mortgages for extortionate profit. Dave (Dominic Cooper) is the mortgage broker who can make anything happen, and when Dave offers Jim (Joseph Mawle), his old school friend, a way out of the council flat he and his family have been stuck in for years, it's an offer that is too good to refuse.
    When the market collapses, each character is confronted by a shocking, revelatory truth that shines a burning light on the new realities they face.
    Rosamund Pike, Sarah Harding, Alfie Allen, Anna Maxwell-Martin and Riz Ahmed also star in this thought-provoking piece.

Tuesday 14 July 9.00-10.30pm BBC TWO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sounds good, thanks for the headsup!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

be good to see Aiden Gillen in something new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

sweetie wrote: »
    be good to see Aiden Gillen in something new
    That blonde one and him to an extent nearly ruined it with their play school acting. *Cringe*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

I thought it was good and it achieved what it set out to do, but the characters could have been a bit more nuanced. Aidan Gillen's character was just hollow. I know he was meant to be but i just didn't find it very believable. Good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Permission to shoot Dave!

Wasn't bad, the opening was curiously comic-book and the use of gloopy underscore to tell us what to feel in some scenes was annoying. The stuff with Jim and his family worked the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

I liked the first bit with Aidan Gillen and his daughter...although for a few moments, I wasn't sure whether that was his son or daughter. (sorry kid actor!)

Some dark comedy: Aidan: What would you like for your birthday?
    Daughter: "I'd like a Daddy who cares."

Oh and what were the numbers he was saying as he walked to work? Was he counting something?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I was sorry I sat down to watch this and I persevered in the hope it would get better. Sadly it didn't. I found this dull, pretentious and utterly clichéd. That modern "shaky camera" syndrome did little to help it. The script needed to be good, and I don't think it was.

I think this was a stab at a Ken Loach film and it just didn't work. Aiden Gillen did his best and he did have a few "moments". The rest were just cardboard cutouts. Plotwise it was obvious 20 minutes in what was going to happen and a disappointment to find that I was right. Not the worst thing ever but certainly not worth investing 90 long minutes in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 klumsden1982

Gekko wrote: »
    I liked the first bit with Aidan Gillen and his daughter...although for a few moments, I wasn't sure whether that was his son or daughter. (sorry kid actor!)

Some dark comedy: Aidan: What would you like for your birthday?
    Daughter: "I'd like a Daddy who cares."

Oh and what were the numbers he was saying as he walked to work? Was he counting something?

If you listen carefully he was saying both letters and numbers while looking at the traffic. I think he was looking at the ammount of new cars out on the road, to guage the state of the credit market... Its just my best guess, it could have been something else...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Agreed Aidan Gillen was the weak point here - mind you he was not given much to to work with. I took the numbers thing to be some sort of OCD attempt to see a certain sequence of numbers on his daily commute. Overall though I thought it was ok tv. I mean we know the outcome of all these CDO's based on mortgages people were never going to be able to pay so all the film was showing was the journey. Attached find a link that explains it with humour and quicker than freefall
    http://www.businesspundit.com/sub-prime/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I thought it was great TV, excellent use of taxpayers money rather than the ****e that normally gets done with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i taught it was good overall, it brought a human perspective to the whole credit crunch crisis..im sure lots of people watching it, could relate to it

Advertisement