Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT REFUND

Options
  • 14-07-2009 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi guys,

I bought one new camera from an online shop few days ago. I am going to leave Ireland on the end of July. So I ask a tax refund form, which I can get my VAT refund when I leave EU from the seller. But the customer support said they can not give me that form.
    So, I just want to know, what is the different between the entity shop with the online shop?

Looking Forward to your reply!!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

You are confusing VAT rules with income tax rules.

VAT is applied at the point of sale depending on where the supply is.

You cannot apply for a refund just because you are leaving Ireland.

You're not entitled to the VAT back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 abclei

Thanks your reply.

I do not understand what is your means. I am an No-EU people, when I leave Ireland to No-EU I can get VAT Back. See the following links:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/travel-to-ireland/tax_free_purchases_for_non_EU_travellers
    http://www.irelandexpert.com/abcs_vat_7-16-99.htm

Thanks for the links- 1st question are you a shot term holiday maker to Ireland?

As such are you non domiciled, non resident in Ireland?

Actually, I have been Ireland for 2 and half years. But I returned my homeland each 3 or 5 months. Am I a short term holiday maker?
    I just want to know why I can not get the tax refund form form the online shop. They did not ask me any information at all, they did not know whether I am traveller or no.

You're resident and not entitled to the VAT back. Sorry.

Have a read of the links you posted.

• Advertisement

I know what your means.
    For me maybe I am not entitiled to VAT refund. But My question as a treveller, if the traveller bought something from the online shop, can he/she get the VAT refund form?

Thanks

Well the logic behind it is that VAT is a tax. If you are a non EU citizen here for a short time you should not be paying tax.

In your case you are Irish resident and as such are in the European tax net so you cannot reclaim the VAT

Advertisement