Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat's body expressions

Options
  • 14-07-2009 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I couldn't find any other thread on this so I just wanted to see if anyone knows what my cat is trying to indicate when he makes this expression with his body.

He turns side ways and has his body arched up, his tail in a similar arch shape, his head down low but bobbing up and down, his ears pointing up and he spreads his claws and does a few little jumps. From what I can gather he wants to play but I've never owned a cat before and when I saw him do it first I thought he was after hurting himself or something.

I'll try and take a photo of him doing it but he doesn't stay still for very long.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭magenta73

Hi EF, is he a kitten? because my cat does that aswell! I think they are playing with all the things they can do, and I think what your cat is doing is making himself big and ready to run in case of attack. My cat also lies realy small on the floor and pounces on any feet that walk by, but what he's doing is normal :D I hope that was some help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

The funniest thing to see a cat do is when they are stalking something and they wiggle there ass just before they pounce.

It cracks me up laughing every time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adventure Pout

Hi EF, yes it looks like your cat wants to play. Cats usually try to make themself look big and give you a very direct look, arching their back, tail up with pointy ears.
    My cat does that when he wants to play i.e. he wants us to getup and chase him around and play fight!! that's good fun, and is very good for you and your cat to bond.. Have fun!! careful of the claws!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

magenta73 wrote: »
    Hi EF, is he a kitten? because my cat does that aswell! I think they are playing with all the things they can do, and I think what your cat is doing is making himself big and ready to run in case of attack. My cat also lies realy small on the floor and pounces on any feet that walk by, but what he's doing is normal :D I hope that was some help

Hi magenta, yes he is only a few months old and very playful but growing fast! He normally makes that body gesture as he is coming down the stairs and then flies off somewhere. He also likes to pounce on my feet or bite my legs so shoes and jeans are a must in his company, unless he is calm. I've tried assertively saying No when he bites but the message doesn't seem to be getting through yet.

Get yourself a spray bottle.
    Thats what i used to teach my two cats when they were kittens and it worked perfectly.

• Advertisement

goodlad wrote: »
    The funniest thing to see a cat do is when they are stalking something and they wiggle there ass just before they pounce.

It cracks me up laughing every time :D

My cat does this too :D it's gas how he gets the ears right down low beside his head too, it must be more aerodynamic or something. He didnt spend too long with his mother so these things must come naturally

goodlad wrote: »
    Get yourself a spray bottle.
    Thats what i used to teach my two cats when they were kittens and it worked perfectly.

I invested in a water pistol last week and he doesn't come near me when I have that in my hand! He doesn't like the water from that or the shower but he'll happily run around in the rain outside :confused:

I was told to hiss at my cat when he went a bit too far with the biteing and scratching and it worked, you feel like a muppet:D:D but it does work

magenta73 wrote: »
    I was told to hiss at my cat when he went a bit too far with the biteing and scratching and it worked, you feel like a muppet:D:D but it does work

haha! Im gonna give that a go later with my new 8 week old kitten.
    She is really cute but god dammit she doesnt obey the spray bottle like my other 2 cats did when they were small.

Her claws are like razors. My arms show the scars! :o

Although i think my male cat (little dude) wants to be my hero. Btw he is an absolutely giant male cat.

Anytime the kitten scratches me and i say ouch little dude comes running and tackles the kitten to the floor! hahaha!

ahh, I love them when there like that! yeah I have "tigger" since he was 2 weeks as his mother was very ill and needed surgery, bottle feed him etc, but he would scratch, bite, do that rabbit thingy with his back legs (with claws out of course) I ended up ringing the DSPCA and they said because he was so young when I got him or if your cat has kittens, sometimes the kitten can think that you are the mother, regardless if you are male or female. but thats what they told me to do, hiss, and it works. good look with yours:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adventure Pout

water pistol is not always a very good and nice idea.. It should be used only as last option. If you use it, your cat should not see it, so he does not know where the water comes from.
    For the biting and scratching, if you find it is too hard, just give him a little (only a little!) pinch on his belly - that's how mother cat teaches them if they play too hard. Mother cat can't pinch. but she gives them a little bite on their belly.
    Also try not to play with your hands - that's usually a tendency we humans do - use some toys e.g. feather wands, strings, ribbons.. to interact with kitty. They will learn that hands are only for petting them.
    It can take longer for some cats to get the idea of No, and for some, they learn very quickly.
    I find this website very useful: http://cats.about.com/od/healthconcerns/u/felinehealthandbehavior.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭HPT

Some good info here, thanks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Sage'sMama

Had an animal behaviorist(so spelt wrong sorry!) come out to help with my indoor cat. I was using a small water pistol to stop her trying to get out the door and she told me to never use it again! That they don't understand why your doing it. I agree with the hissing at them that works well at stopping them.

Drawn by Matthew Inman, Founder & Designer of Mingle2

header.pngkneading.pnglitter.pngstaring.pngdead.pnggrass.pnghiding.pngelectronics.pngsleep.pngsprinting.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Sage'sMama

Thought you might have a giggle at the above sheet i have it on my fridge!
    My cats do them all... :eek:

LOL....... that's excellent:D

:D That really is an eye-opening poster and I thought butter wouldn't melt in my little kitten's mouth!

Advertisement