Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Allenwood, Co. Kildare

Options
  • 14-07-2009 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi,

I am living in Allenwood, Co.Kildare and am interested in getting broadband installed. However, it has proved to be rather difficult since there is little coverage in this area.

When travelling around the area, (allenwood, kilmeague, clane, prosperous, etc), on some houses there is a slim tall pole with a square mesh at the top. There is a metal piece pointing outwards in whatever direction from the mesh. Is this receiver for broadband? or is it for something else (like tv). If it is for broadband, what providers cover the allenwood area?

I was also looking at either getting a "three" wiresless bb usb pen or an o2 wireless usb pen, but i am a little concerned as to what the signal and quality of service is like in the allenwood area(?)

I have read that the "three" network, although they are cheap, their customer service is diabolical and their service (bb, gprs) is just as bad really. Can you confirm if this is the case?Thanks.

Does anyone know what the o2 signal is like in allenwood for bb?

Thanks

J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I was down near Allenwood the other day (Carbury I think) and the Vodafone 3g signal was not good. O2 signal was claiming to be excellent though.

Perhaps that might be some help. Ice broadband are in the area I believe but how good they are well you can judge yourself from checking out the broadband forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 john_buoy

machalla wrote: »
    O2 signal was claiming to be excellent though.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Does your statement above mean that you are on o2 and the signal was excellent? (where is carbury?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Regarding the little panels you see in the area, they are fixed wireless internet access panels. Ice Broadband are an ISP active in the area, among other ISPs - a mate of mine used install it...

Regarding O2 having good coverage in Allenwood, there's a massive 02 basestation around Ballynafagh, so signal is bound to be good around there. Do be aware though that despite o2, Vodaofne, Three & Meteor/eircom telling you that these thing can acheive good speeds, they really can't...all to do with channel sharing / capacity etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭holmyster

would avoid 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭spooner_src

Hello

A friend of mine leaves on the road near the roadstone at Allen. He has the TThree USB Broadband and I can confirm its not great at the best of times.

B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 john_buoy

Dardania wrote: »
    Do be aware though that despite o2, Vodaofne, Three & Meteor/eircom telling you that these thing can acheive good speeds, they really can't...all to do with channel sharing / capacity etc...

What would the average speed be like with a wireless o2 usb stick (on a guess)? I am only looking for around 1mb (or close to it) download and 128kb upload at a push. I don't intend to download massive files..those days are long gone. (I used to live in an area in which I had adsl bb with esat bt - 8mb down, near 1mb up.:rolleyes:..ahh the good 'ol days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 fergal40

john_buoy wrote: »
    Hi,Try Leinster Broadband very helpful -
    http://www.vazumo.com/companydetails/142774/Leinster+Broadband

I am living in Allenwood, Co.Kildare and am interested in getting broadband installed. However, it has proved to be rather difficult since there is little coverage in this area.

When travelling around the area, (allenwood, kilmeague, clane, prosperous, etc), on some houses there is a slim tall pole with a square mesh at the top. There is a metal piece pointing outwards in whatever direction from the mesh. Is this receiver for broadband? or is it for something else (like tv). If it is for broadband, what providers cover the allenwood area?

I was also looking at either getting a "three" wiresless bb usb pen or an o2 wireless usb pen, but i am a little concerned as to what the signal and quality of service is like in the allenwood area(?)

I have read that the "three" network, although they are cheap, their customer service is diabolical and their service (bb, gprs) is just as bad really. Can you confirm if this is the case?Thanks.

Does anyone know what the o2 signal is like in allenwood for bb?

Thanks

J.
    Hi,Try Leinster Broadband very helpful -
    http://www.vazumo.com/companydetails/142774/Leinster+Broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

john_buoy wrote: »
    on some houses there is a slim tall pole with a square mesh at the top. There is a metal piece pointing outwards in whatever direction from the mesh. Is this receiver for broadband? or is it for something else (like tv). If it is for broadband, what providers cover the allenwood area?
    Thats a Chours/UPC MMDS aerial. They will all be pointing towards Dunmurray hill in Rathangan. Nothing to do with broadband I am aftaid. Ice broadbands aerial's are slimish, white and in a diamond shape.

Advertisement