Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holidays for Dáil Éireann Members

Options
  • 14-07-2009 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

How many days/weeks/months off per year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

to clarify

are you asking how many days does the Dail sit?

or how much leave a TD gets officially?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

leave a TD gets officially

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

then I have no idea sorry

I have an inckling that their system does not really work like a normal annual leave system

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I don't think there's any technical holiday entitlement...but they probably receive statutory which is about 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 burnaby

TDs are free to take as much leave as they wish, subject to the following considerations

1. As a generalisation, their constituents are unlikely to re-elect them if they don't attend sittings of the Dail - most TDs absolutely crave re-election;
    2. The party / whip system requires most of them to attend and vote along party lines, and
    3. Most of them actually want to represent their electorate and participate in the legislative process

Legally, however, TDs are free to remain absent from the Dail as frequently as they wish, and apart form losing some of their expense allowances, no other sanction can be applied to them

With a few dishonourable exceptions, most members of the current Dail have a good attendance record.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Zoe zebra

According to recent media reports some of them even manage to "attend" while they are out of the country...........!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Zoe zebra wrote: »
    According to recent media reports some of them even manage to "attend" while they are out of the country...........!!!!!!!!

Don't believe all you read or hear from the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Zoe zebra

I think I might believe them faster than I'd believe a politician !!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Zoe zebra wrote: »

Probably the Dáil bar.

Advertisement