Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Suck - Pike

Options
  • 14-07-2009 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Good afternoon,

As my inlaws are up around the Castlerea area of Roscommon, I have being fishing the River Suck over the last few months for pike. From Ballymoe to Donamon, Blacks lake around.. Yet I've only caught one pike in about 20hours of fishing overall.

Question, is this river seriously understocked with Pike, or am I using the wrong lures. Have used about 15 different spinners in all.....

All help much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Hi.

I fish a lot for pike on the suck, its my main piking river! However i fish mainly around the ballyforan area, I dont like blacks lake at all, it has had a fairly low stock of all fish for the last 5 years, well when compared to the main river. the same goes for stonehams lake. If you are fishing there again, try the small pond accross the road from blacks. it can be great, it can be terrible. fish swim in when the river joining blacks and stonehams is in flood, and they get trapped there when the flood goes down. the bank is very dangerous though, pure bog land, and its nearly a virticle drop into 8-10 foot of water at the bank, the lake is very deep, considering its tiny size.

id say stick to the main river, also try fishing at different at depths. if you get a chance, call up to ballyforan, 20 mins away from blacks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Wexford-Bass

Hi Frank, many thanks, was at a wedding recently down that way, lovely part of the suck i must say... might give it a go the next time I'm up, probably this weekend for the Wex - Ros match....

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Hi there born and bred 200 metres from the suck lower reaches Ballinasloe but always plenty of pike in it.
    If your having no joy with lures maybe try some dead baits.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Try fishing from pre-dawn to 9am on any water. You're far more likely to see the pike feeding if they are present in the vicinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Wexford-Bass

Many Thanks folks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Hi lads,

Travelling up from Galway tomorrow to fish the famous Rivers Suck! Any recommendations? I've been told to fish the Ballygar area.

I'm heading up early in the morning for a days fishing, could anybody make any recommendations on any area to fish? Basically looking for Pike of any size, fishing with jerkbaits, not deadbaits. Catch & return, this is just a once off sort of thing so it would be nice to be directed to a decent area.

PM me if you don't want to mention the area in this thread, I'm not a Polak aldi angler! :P

Ta!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

Hi.

I fish a lot for pike on the suck, its my main piking river! However i fish mainly around the ballyforan area, I dont like blacks lake at all, it has had a fairly low stock of all fish for the last 5 years, well when compared to the main river. the same goes for stonehams lake. If you are fishing there again, try the small pond accross the road from blacks. it can be great, it can be terrible. fish swim in when the river joining blacks and stonehams is in flood, and they get trapped there when the flood goes down. the bank is very dangerous though, pure bog land, and its nearly a virticle drop into 8-10 foot of water at the bank, the lake is very deep, considering its tiny size.

id say stick to the main river, also try fishing at different at depths. if you get a chance, call up to ballyforan, 20 mins away from blacks!
    Is Ballyforan fishable from the shore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Is Ballyforan fishable from the shore?

it is, but it gets weedy in the summer

Advertisement