Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good antivirus / firewall client for Ubuntu

Options
  • 14-07-2009 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

HI

I have recently installed Ubuntu on a separate partition and was wondering if anyone knows of a good free Antivirus / firewall client I can install?
    I am a novice when it comes to Ubuntu.

Hertz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Asfaik you dont need one/its built it.

In terms of virus' linux is way safer than Windows, again, asfaik. Im no expert.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I have never used either with linux. The way linux installs software is entirely different from windows. You download all of your software from trusted sources. In my case this effectively rules out a virus. Anyone who's considering jumping on me and pointing out that linux has viruses etc etc. needn't bother. I'm just not concerned in the slightest.

In terms of firewall, have a read about hosts.allow and hosts.deny (both in the /etc directory). I've never needed more than that. (deny all, allow trusted individual IP's). Your broadband router probably has NAT, which is very effective at keeping out nasties also.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

You won't need anti-virus unless you might want to scan mail/attachments before forwarding them onto folks on Windows machines. I don't bother myself.

You shouldn't need to do anything with the firewall in Ubuntu, but Firestarter is a nice simple gui if you want to mess around with it. Have a look at the Security sub-forum at http://ubuntuforums.org/ if you need specific help.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

Thanks guys

Hertz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭campers

@OP

See this post on Tombuntu's blog...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I think it is wise to not consider just because you are on linux you can forget about firewalls and viruses. But most routers do have these built-in okay (many routers being linux systems themselves these days). In linux the firewall is called iptables and it is built into the OS kernel itself. If you did wish to enable it a simple place to start might be firestarter which is basically just a GUI front end to iptables.

Virus are definitely less problematic for linux users okay and to be honest I don't bother either anymore, though for years I did run clamAV (http://www.clamav.net/) - many people still dualboot and it's not a bad idea to have something like clamAV that would allow you to scan your windows disks/partitions from linux. On linux clamAV is mostly used in conjunction with mail servers, but it might also be useful to scan emails you receive that might not infect your linux system but could infect any windows users you forwarded the infected email to!

Advertisement