Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People can be so cruel

Options
  • 14-07-2009 9:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭

Become a regular on here since i got my cat:p Just wanted to share a story with you.

Last week my partner and his friend were walking home from work. Theres an area of bushes for about a 5 minute strech. A man was walking about 20 meters in front of them, this man stopped and looked into a bush. Then walked off.

As my parther and his friend passed there heard a small "meow" they looked in the bush and there was a baby kitten about 8 weeks old with blood on her head crying out. My parther got so angry he went down the road after the guy yelling "You saw that cat was hurt but you just ****ed off and left him- God help the day you have kids you inhumane jerk". The guy just ignored him didnt even turn around.

The boys took her straight to the vet, the poor girls head was cut she had gotten caught in the brambles. After she was cleaned up and given shots(vet actually gave them free because he knows my bf- we bring our cat there all the time) they took him back to our house (as we had cat food) and she nearly ate the bowl:D

We were going to keep her as company for our cat but my partners friend had fallen in love with her so he has adopted her. He has named her Bushy(as she was found in a bush - plus shes a big hairball)
    So happy ending- but still cant get over that ignorant guy who just left the kitten there after seeing she was hurt:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Yep you have to be a special sort of gimp to do something like that. I'm not much of a cat lover, more of a doggy person but I would never leave ANY animal crying in a ditch in obvious distress. Well done for helping the little girl out and finding her a home :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

~Thalia~ wrote: »
    Yep you have to be a special sort of gimp to do something like that. I'm not much of a cat lover, more of a doggy person but I would never leave ANY animal crying in a ditch in obvious distress. Well done for helping the little girl out and finding her a home :)

Im more of a dog person aswell- but when he brought her home her little head bandaged up and he told me what happened i got so upset. I hate people like that its so horrible. My partner knows he finds any hurt animals hes to take them home to me and he is the same he couldnt leave them. How cruel can you get:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

The guy didn't want to get involved who knows what his reason was but its no excuse for your partner to abuse him.
    "The guy just ignored him didnt even turn around", what the hell do you expect? If some lunatic came yelling after me "You saw that cat was hurt but you just ****ed off and left him- God help the day you have kids you inhumane jerk" id ignore the fruitcake too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

padi89 wrote: »
    The guy didn't want to get involved who knows what his reason was but its no excuse for your partner to abuse him.
    "The guy just ignored him didnt even turn around", what the hell do you expect? If some lunatic came yelling after me "You saw that cat was hurt but you just ****ed off and left him- God help the day you have kids you inhumane jerk" id ignore the fruitcake too.

I'd have to agree. The same way I'd stay away from a strange dog lying in a ditch, I'd stay away from a cat. Who's to say what the animal could be carrying?

I also witnessed a friend once try to lift a cat that was abandoned in a field near an old house and have his hand badly scraped because it was wild. He was lucky it didn't get his face as well.

Fair play to your partner for helping the animal but the man who walked on had every right to go about his business and ignore the cat.

I've a child on the way and I'll be telling him/her to keep more than a safe distance from any animal that's not familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Killguru wrote: »
    Well im gonna go the other way and say its rediculous that people give money and time to help overpopulating animals when there are homeless people, starving people, people in worn torn countries, abused children, children with no homes, human trafficing and WAY more things i cant think of now. :mad:

Why waste money on this sh!t when there are human beings in much worse situations. Why dont we sort them out first??? :mad: And its not you, its everybody who does this. Cos their cute or whatever.

Put the f***ing kitten down. :mad:

Not everyone thinks human lives are more valuable than other animals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 CatLady1

The amount of people who seem to think that humans are the only animals on the planet that matter just baffles me.

I suggest that Killguru, perhaps you are in the wrong forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 samantha2000

Well im gonna go the other way and say its rediculous that people give money and time to help overpopulating animals when there are homeless people, starving people, people in worn torn countries, abused children, children with no homes, human trafficing and WAY more things i cant think of now. :mad:

Why waste money on this sh!t when there are human beings in much worse situations. Why dont we sort them out first??? :mad: And its not you, its everybody who does this. Cos their cute or whatever.

Thank fcuk not everybody thinks like you. If people helping animals upsets your caring heart so much, why bother reading about it? You could be spending your valuable time raising money for all those starving and homeless people that need your help.

To the op. Thanks to you and your partner, the story of that lil' kitten has a happy ending, such a pity there are not more people like you in this world. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Fair play to you OP, but I think your being a bit harsh on the guy that walked by some people just are not animal people, they don't get it therefore he wouldn't have felt anything for the cat or maybe he didn't know what to do with it, never had a pet didn't know who to call. Plenty of reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Killguru

Hmmm ... i didnt mean to sound so angry there...

Anyway its frustrating. I mean if were going to value cats and dogs that much then we may aswell value moths and spiders the same too. So i sat on the bed and "murdered" a moth. Although i know there are people like that too.

It just seems that people value cute things more. Like people wud adopt a cute child rather than an ugly one, even if the ugly one needed it more. :confused:

I still think people helping cats and dogs and turning a blind eye to all the human suffering is a bit ridiculous. Im actually ok with valuing ALL life the same, but valuing them more because their cute is stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 CatLady1

Hmmm ... i didnt mean to sound so angry there...

Anyway its frustrating. I mean if were going to value cats and dogs that much then we may aswell value moths and spiders the same too. So i sat on the bed and "murdered" a moth. Although i know there are people like that too.

It just seems that people value cute things more. Like people wud adopt a cute child rather than an ugly one, even if the ugly one needed it more. :confused:

I still think people helping cats and dogs and turning a blind eye to all the human suffering is a bit ridiculous. Im actually ok with valuing ALL life the same, but valuing them more because their cute is stupid.

That's fine, but I don't think anyone here was claiming to value anyone/anything else more because of 'cuteness'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭bladespin

Fair play for looking after the kitten but I thnik your partner needs to talk to someone about his aggression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Killguru

Well it sounded like that because it was a kitten! Whats more cute than a kitten? Maybe i was presuming that ...

Anyway i would have helped the kitten. I think the man that walked away was intitled to because not everyone can think the same way. Or maybe he was in a hurry??

Anyway iv realised that im opening a can of worms with people who feel strongly about animals and AM in the wrong forum, i say good day to you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

As my parther and his friend passed there heard a small "meow" they looked in the bush and there was a baby kitten about 8 weeks old with blood on her head crying out. My parther got so angry he went down the road after the guy yelling "You saw that cat was hurt but you just ****ed off and left him- God help the day you have kids you inhumane jerk". The guy just ignored him didnt even turn around.

If it had been an injured rat as opposed to something cute like a kitten or puppy, would your partner have reacted so strongly?

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Just out of curiosity, was the bush near anyone's house? Because it could have been someone's pet that wandered (Hence the man not wanting to pick it up and take it away).

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

That comment there especially in the context that you posted it would usually get you a ban but since youre new Ill let slip this time.

Op good to hear the kittens doing fine---Fair play to your OH for rescuing her!!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adventure Pout

I wish there were more people thinking like you for saving animals in distress.
    Killguru your comments are very hurtful and just saying to put the kitten down is very selfish!
    Anyway, am glad to hear that the kitten has found a home and she is well now. Hope your friends' friend has a good time with the kitty.. :D
    Any animal deserves to live and be loved too..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭PCros

Not the best way to introduce yourself to the Animals forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭PCros

Stark wrote: »
    If it had been an injured rat as opposed to something cute like a kitten or puppy, would your partner have reacted so strongly?

Its harder to connect with an animal that is not as sociable as cats and dogs, especially a rat in a bush....most people will automatically think this is going to bite me.

Like if I was to approach that cat and it hissed (or growl from dog) at me then I know to leave it or get a professional, but I dont know a rats warning signs if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Ah ...always a joy to behold, to watch those, who profess to be filled with love and compassion, loose it completely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

:eek: wow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭magenta73

I'd like to think that I would rescue a rat etc, I have a very fluffy cute cat, but also my daughters have corn shakes, geckos, bearded dragons, and if any of them escaped I'd like to think that somebody would help them and it definetly would'nt be for the cute factor!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

, people in worn torn countries,

whats a worn torn country?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Maybe the humanities or politics forum might be better suited for a discussion on the above.
    Prob not the best place to try and make a point against animal welfare here :rolleyes:

You say helping overpopluate animals there are a lot of schemes in place esp for feral cats to help against overpopulation.

And FYI look around people are being overpopulated also. Look at the likes of India, developing countries or china so populated people are going around wearing face masks to prevent diesease.
    Human population is growing by approximately 74 million people per year. Were probably not far off from implenting such schemes against over-population ourselves as we use up resources.

Yip it's frustrating etc etc etc. However alot of the ppl dedicating time and effort to helping animals is to help abandoned or mal-treated animals at human hands

OP well done to you and the hubby! perhaps the hubby did get a little bit emotional but atleast he cares to the point of where he helped.

Obviously the man who walked away that was his perogative to do that. Unfortunately there are people out there that just don't give a crap but it's nice to know that there are a few who still do ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Right - just got to the computer and saw this.
    People seriously watch your language and insults.

a) don't suggest killing creatures
    b) don't yell abuse at someone for not responding to a hurt animal
    c) don't turn this into a humanities/other type arguement
    d) don't yell abuse at each other, if you have a problem with a post, there's a report post function

All I'll say on the matter is OP yes well done for doing what ye did in rescuing the kitten & I hope it's ok. I would not however advocate yelling at a stranger who decided to ignore the kitten. Varied reasons behind it I'm sure, at the end of the day -they're own choice. Do I yell at someone who doesn't give a homeless person money when I do? No.
    I could give further examples but that's not the point. I really think your OH was a bit out of order yelling abuse.
    Regarding other people thinking 'sure let it die/kill it' etc, this isn't the forum for you.

Approaching a scared lost/wild animal can be dangerous, so do tread with caution, and if in doubt, I'd try the local spca/vets see if they can help (just for people who may come across situations like this).

I really hope the little kittens ok

star-pants wrote: »
    And it appears someone banned you before me... pity.

for the record id like this persons IP banned as they sent me a pm abusing me and threatning me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

for the record id like this persons IP banned as they sent me a pm abusing me and threatning me

There is a report function button at the top right of pms - please use this to report any abusive/threatening pms

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Good luck with your kitty and take good care of it :)

star-pants wrote: »
    There is a report function button at the top right of pms - please use this to report any abusive/threatening pms

i did report it last night when i recieved it, they just PMed me out of nowhere i hadnt even looked at this thread in hours.

Advertisement