Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roundabout Rules

Options
  • 14-07-2009 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭

I was in a car with a friend who stopped to let someone cross the road, but we were coming off the roundabout so the car who behind us nearly went into the back of us. I was under the impression this could or should not be done but the driver was under the impression that the predestrian was on a crossing.

Should she have stopped would coming have coming onto roundabout but not coming offf.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Was this at Troy's Gate by any chance (Beside the old Classic Furnature and near Green's Bridge)??

There is a pedestrian crossing in a really dodgy spot there, and for some reason, many motorists feel that normal roundabout rules shouldn't apply on that particular roundabout. This has led to me almost crashing on more than one occasion, and being blown at by irate motorists when I was actually in the right.

Stopping to let people cross the road is discresionary, and in my opinion should not be done unless
    1) There is no traffic behind you (although in this case there is no point because the pedestrian can just wait for you to pass anyway)
    2) The traffic is at a walking pace (like high street on a busy day).

Stopping coming off a roundabout is extremely dangerous, the whole point of them is that the traffic keeps moving.

But I saw this very thing almost cause an accident last night at the roundabout on the comer road at the army barracks. People shouldnt be crossing there. Simple. It's a busy blind junction.

If a car goes into the back of you, it's 95-100% their fault anyway, at least in the eyes of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

It was on Comer Road roundabout, think called New Road Roundabout. Actually couldn't believe my friend stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

This is a pet hate of mine, the white lines connecting the two paths on a roundabout are NOT pedestrian crossings, in the sense that you HAVE to give right of way, like the ones on High St. etc. They are just simply a walk-way between the two sides of the roundabout. One of my friends failed his driving test for stopping and letting a pedestrian cross there.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭wax

I had the exact same thing happen in that spot a few months ago. A girl got to the middle island as i approached and just kept on giong. I had to slam on and she didn't even bat an eyelid. As far as she was concerned she was in the right. I could've easily has someone plough straight into the back of me.

Advertisement