Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal rights that come with becoming a certain age?

Options
  • 14-07-2009 2:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Was just wondering, what rights actually come with what age in Ireland?

I found http://www.niyouthinfo.org/main/index2.asp?storyID=636&Nav=Legal
    but this is for Northern Ireland which is completely different :(

Anyone know a similar list for Ireland? (I know a few, like driving at 17 for example, but want to know the rest)

Thanls :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Found this which I think covers pretty much everything! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

Also, at 21 you can stand for election.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

What age do you have to be to run for president and the Seanad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Fad wrote: »
    What age do you have to be to run for president and the Seanad?

35 for president anyway. No idea about seanad

You can also buy/own a firearm at 17; that's probably the best thing about turning 17.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Found this which I think covers pretty much everything! :)

You can also buy/own a firearm at 17; that's probably the best thing about turning 17.

Really? I'm 17 in like a month..

Really? I'm 17 in like a month..

Yah, 17 is the legal age for firearm ownership (although at that age it may be difficult to be granted a license if your family hasn't a number of guns already). I got my first gun (rifle) just after my 17th birthday and my second a few months later (shotgun).

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

994 wrote: »
    Also, at 21 you can stand for election.

Depends on the election.

18 for local/town/city councils
    21 for the Dáil
    35 for president.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's 16.

Yah, 17 is the legal age for firearm ownership (although at that age it may be difficult to be granted a license if your family hasn't a number of guns already). I got my first gun (rifle) just after my 17th birthday and my second a few months later (shotgun).

This adds another dimension to the mystery that is -JammyDodger-

• Advertisement

It's 16.

God I'm older than I though so. I just checked my oldest licence and it said 2005, so you're right.
    Fad wrote: »
    This adds another dimension to the mystery that is -JammyDodger-

That isn't even my real name...

That isn't even my real name...

WHAT! :eek:

God I'm older than I though so. I just checked my oldest licence and it said 2005, so you're right.

Historically there have been difficulties in getting a firearms cert at that age, but if your family have a shooting background and you're not a tit, there tends not to be an enormous amount of hassle. I started shooting later, but a neighbour of mine received a lovely .410 side by side for his sixteenth birthday from his father without hassle. Later had difficulty with a deer rifle however at seventeen. I've had no hassle with my deer gun at 19/20 however. Depends on your relationship with your local boys and your history. As a competition shooter, I've also dealt with my crime prevention officer and have authority to store 5000 rounds, so I'm on good footing. Others may not be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Can I take the driver's theory test at 16 then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Ya you can do the theory test at 16.

Spotted a mistake in the link. It says you have to be 18 to get a full drivers license, which you don't. You can get a full license at 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

No I think it's just the provisional you can get at 17. I've just heard that from driving friends now so I could be wrong.
    So I can take the theory test at 16...but can't drive on a provisional license until 17 (unless I happen to like driving mopeds, tractors or 125cc bikes).

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Ya you can do the theory test at 16.

Spotted a mistake in the link. It says you have to be 18 to get a full drivers license, which you don't. You can get a full license at 17.

That was for category B, motorcycles over 250cc, which is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

jumpguy wrote: »
    No I think it's just the provisional you can get at 17. I've just heard that from driving friends now so I could be wrong.

No, I got my full license at 17.
    That was for category B, motorcycles over 250cc, which is true.

Category B is a car:
    Vehicles with seats for up to 8 passengers and a maximum weight of 3,500kg (includes pulling a trailer where the maximum weight of the trailer when fully loaded is 750kg or less)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

as far as i know, you can actually take your theory test at 15, i could be wrong but was told this at a driving course we did in TY.
    You can definately get your full license at 17, or else the RSA just really like me.

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Category B is a car:

You are of course correct. I was mixed up. In any case, it's the category for motorcycles over 250cc. A? Think it's A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

kateos2 wrote: »
    as far as i know, you can actually take your theory test at 15, i could be wrong but was told this at a driving course we did in TY.
    You can definately get your full license at 17, or else the RSA just really like me.

Actually there's no limit to what age you can take your theory test at. You could take it at age 5 if you wanted to! Only problem with that is, the results are only valid for 2 years, so taking it at 15 is the youngest you can hold onto the results to get a learners permit as soon as you turn 17.

Also, yes, you can get your full license at 17. The only real regulation once you have your learners permit is that you must wait 6 months before you can sit a driving test. If you pass it, you can apply for your license.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I got my full licence 6 months before I turned 18!

Advertisement