Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The truth about jellyfish...

Options
  • 14-07-2009 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

Could someone settle an argument for me please (informed opinions need only apply thank you).

The lovely lil jellyfish that we get here in our Irish waters, can they actually sting you? My buddy reckons they can, I say they can't.

The argument started the other day when we were out surfing and there was a serious bunch of them floating about. A lot more than I'd usually see. Two ended up on my board, and I just picked them up and tossed them (the clear kind with the little purplish bits in the center). My buddy then went on with the usual "watch out, they can sting you".

I thought it was just the big mofos you'd find much farther afield that can actually do any harm, and that the type we find floating about here could be almost served up alongside a block of raspberry ripple. Or am I totally wrong here and he's right and I should stop handling them when they find their way onto my board??

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

i think they sting alright but I think they are fairly weak as in they can't even break the skin

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

No idea if they can sting but I was amazed at how many I saw on the beach at Garretstown the last couple of times I was down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

saw one on the beach at spanish point, I swear it was as big as a car wheel in width. I wouldn't like that one on my face...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ViDuchie

Little white ones are too crappy to sting. The Big Brown ones do sting.

Speaking from experience.

Vinegar does the trick tho.
    V

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Lion's mane jellyfish have a powerfull sting and are found in ireland
    http://www.waterford-today.ie/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=933

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tonyfillony

the brown ones sting , the purple one dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ricochet69

As far as i am aware after doing some research, since i had a simular argument with a friend; is that most jelly fish sting you, but its only the bigger ones stings that will actually hurt you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

AFAIK the moon jellyfish (the very common one with purple circles in the middle) either don't sting or have a very mild sting.

cornbb wrote: »
    AFAIK the moon jellyfish (the very common one with purple circles in the middle) either don't sting or have a very mild sting.

thats the one i saw on the beach in Spanish Point. It was huge, really wide...

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Don't know there names but the ones with the brown inside of em def do sting.. speaking from experience. I ain't no marine biologist but I wouldn't be eating em with ice cream if I were you...:)

Friend 1 : You nil :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

http://www.glaucus.org.uk/CompassJellyfish-DH.jpg

I think Loctite you probably mean the Compass Jellys. They do sting to varying degrees as you said. Pic above.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭MarkHobBray1977

best advice...avoid all if possible......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Cecil Mor wrote: »

I think Loctite you probably mean the Compass Jellys. They do sting to varying degrees as you said. Pic above.

I just saw one of those guys at Silverstrand in Galway, about 200m offshore... scary f*ckers, best avoided indeed...

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Yes they frigging sting. This was my arm last year - after swimming through a huge swarm of them in Howth. Think it was a Loin's Mane. It hurts. I could feel jolts around my body, not just the places I was stung, in the 24 hours after being stung. The stung area weeps. The inflammation cleared up after a week - no scarring but needed to resist scratching.

Treated with vinegar externally - Stout internally

3029797024_5ccf2b3f4f.jpg?v=1226668320

Here's a good ID sheet you can take the pepsi challenge ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Cecil Mor wrote: »

They be the ones alright....

is it true that your own pee will work if you rub it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Pee will work if want to go around smelling like a public toilet. It's not acidic enough for the treatment of jellyfish stings.

Oh antihistamines may help minimise reaction/inflammation caused by the sting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 fiachy

Haha Seachto u definitely saw that on friends!
    Pee just releases the venom. As was said earlier vinegar is probably the best cure, but if you enjoy pissing all over yourself you're welcome to it!!! hehe:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Breaktown

I was stung once but I didn't see what kind of jellyfish it was. Does anyone know if they can they still sting if they're dead on the beach?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

Gtown can get swamped with the Common Jelly Fish (thats actually their name according to that jelly fish id card), they don't sting, me and my friends have been known to throw them at each other

i read (in a book) that the increased CO2 content of the oceans due to climate change is making the seas more hospitable for jelly fish, that sucks

im off to youtube "portuguese man of war"

• Advertisement

fiachy wrote: »
    ...but if you enjoy pissing all over yourself you're welcome to it!!! hehe:D

usually happens after beer....:o

Advertisement