Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fill small holes in kitchen table

Options
  • 14-07-2009 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hello all. I recently bought a Yesteryear reclaimed-timber kitchen table. Because it is reclaimed it still displays some shallow but narrow holes where nails and screws once were. The table is finished in a rich mahogany colour, not sure if its with oils or wax. My fiance didn't really like the holes as she's afraid crumbs etc will get stuck in them, so I said I'd fill them some how. So my question is how?? Would beeswax do the job? Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭centre half

What about picking up a few knots from whichever type of wood your table is, chisel down into wedges, fill hole 1/2 full with glue and hammer in your new wedges. Chisel off excess of wedge carefully and that should do the trick.
    To your beeswax Q, I honestly wouldn't have a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Autorotation

Thanks Centre Half. Its certainly one option I hadn't thought of...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

beeswax will be too soft: how about a glass top? : v easy to clean

That's a good idea too Carlow52. Its an extendable table so I'd probably just have to decide on one length or the other. Is it easy to get thick glass with bevelled edges to the correct size?

What about furniture wood filler? Saw some in B&Q but not sure I'd be able to match the colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Auto, you can buy wax sticks in the likes of Woodies, Colron make them. They usually come in a pack of three shades so you can mix them together to come up with the correct tone. Its solid enough but wont be rock hard, ie it'll take everyday wear, wiping etc but you'd be able to pick it out easily enough.

209781.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks Croppyboy, I'm going to buy a pack of those sticks and try them out. They sound good...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

a trick we use with Lower grade flooring might be useful here

Estapol & Sawdust == Putty

1) Lightly sand table
    2) Collect sawdust
    3) mix sawdust and Estapol to a paste
    4) Fill the larger holes with this
    5) Mix a thinner batch
    6) Squeegee the thinner batch across the entire table surface so as its even
    6b) LEAVE IT TO DRY
    7) VERY Lightly sand the table to remove any streaks etc
    8) Aply clear coat of Estapol to table

Job done, glassy finish, easy wipe, no crumbs, low maintenance table top.

Advertisement