Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

05 Vw Caddy Gear selection problem..

Options
  • 14-07-2009 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hello all,just a quick question for the VW lads/mechanics/everyone on here....the gearchange is notchy on my 05 VW Caddy TDI,it never grinds/crunches but sometimes it wont go fully into gear,and have to give it a harder push than normal,or else go back to neutral and try again.Other times its fine.It feels like a linkage problem more than a gearbox problem? Going into (mainly)3rd or 5th is the only time its like this.Any ideas? Do they suffer from gear linkage or selector problems?Many thanks in advance!

Alo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

I noticed the same problem in my 00 Golf TDI, so I imagine we have the same gearbox, or at least yours is based on mine. Going into 3rd and 5th can be a little difficult but my Dad said its just that the gear selector is very precise.
    It doesnt seem as if when you move the stick that nothing is happening, its just being obsructed.

Are you the only owner of the Caddy and the problem has just materialised?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Had only one company owner before me.Yeah,problem has materialised over the last few weeks,might check the linkage for play/worn bushes just to be sure.As you say it just seems obstructed,it doesn't seem to be a worn synchro in the box itself..

alo1587 wrote: »
    Had only one company owner before me.Yeah,problem has materialised over the last few weeks,might check the linkage for play/worn bushes just to be sure.As you say it just seems obstructed,it doesn't seem to be a worn synchro in the box itself..

Hmmm, well my Golf has just gone in to get stuff fitted that they ordered from its last service (last tuesday) and there was no mention of a gearbox problem last week.
    If they notice anything today during a test drive Ill let you know what their verdict is as it seems we have the same problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

There wouldn't be a big thick mat under the clutch pedal by any chance?

trad wrote: »
    There wouldn't be a big thick mat under the clutch pedal by any chance?

You mean the clutch pedal cant be pushed down fully because of summet like a a mat blocking it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

alo1587 wrote: »
    It feels like a linkage problem more than a gearbox problem? Going into (mainly)3rd or 5th is the only time its like this.Any ideas? Do they suffer from gear linkage or selector problems?Many thanks in advance!

have a standard 06VW Caddy, and the gearbox went in mine after 5000km.

Was driving along the road one day in fifth gear, started to go up a bit of a hill and wanted to drop down to fourth to get up a bit of power. Put my hand on the gear stick to change to fourth and the gears changed before I'd pressed down the clutch. Had to drive the rest of the way home only using gears 1-4. Brought to the VW main dealer the next day and they put in a new gearbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

bbk wrote: »
    You mean the clutch pedal cant be pushed down fully because of summet like a a mat blocking it?

Seen it happen, mat gets worn, bunches up under the pedals, the clutch pedal is the only one that goes to the floor and the mat restricts movement.

I've also had a problem with the gearchange mechanism on a caravelle. Lost everything bar third gear. Discovered a €2 nylon bush had snapped, waited 3 days for part and a bitch to fit but back on the road and no new gearbox

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

I read somewhere that there is a recall or maybe VW recommend an oil change to cure this.

I'd give VW a call to see.

I had a similar problem with my own car (vw 6speed box), an oil change to redline mt90 cured the problem.

Neilw wrote: »
    I read somewhere that there is a recall or maybe VW recommend an oil change to cure this.

I'd give VW a call to see.

I had a similar problem with my own car (vw 6speed box), an oil change to redline mt90 cured the problem.

Interesting stuff.
    I still have the bulk of a 3 month warrenty on the gear box so if something is going to go I hope its soon enough.
    Still no word from the garage yet.

Id saw if there was a recall my 2000 Wagon is too old to be the one they want recalled.

EDIT:
    Now that i think of it,
    Would the oil be changed at services?
    If so would the wrong oil result in the same symptoms?
    Im a bit sketchy about the last service this car got at the dealer before i bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

bbk wrote: »

Nah there's no mat blocking it.Strangely enough,it was fine yesterday while driving it.Must be a bushing in the linkage or something.Or else its all in my head:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭ferret man

its the selector needs changing b4 it gives up and jams in gear but get someone that works a lot of vw to set it up or it will never be right

Advertisement