Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Table default font size

Options
  • 13-07-2009 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭

Does font-size in a table default to 1em?

I have
    body {font-size: 0.75em }

which works fine for everything on the page, except tables, which are displayed with a font-size of 1em in Firefox, IE and Opera and Chrome.

Firebug shows the <td> as inheriting the 0.75em from body, but the web developer toolbar shows the font size within the table at 16px as opposed to 12 everywhere else.

If I specify
    table {font-size: inherit}

the font size is correct for FF, Opera and Chrome (but not IE, surprise surprise).

So I'm assuming <table> defaults to 1em?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Can't remember encountering that problem before.

Have you got Firebug? Useful for figuring out things like this --> http://getfirebug.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

TDs seem to have their own rules all to themselves (imagine that - HTML following real-life Irish politices).

It also applies in some browsers to LIs and TEXTAREAs.

All other items seem to have an automatic "inherit".

Specify a different font, colour, or font-size and you'll see what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

try this
    body, table {font-size: 0.75em; }
    /* or you can set the table on its own */
    table{font-size:0.75em;}
    /*you can also have different td with its own font size */
    td .large{font-size:1em;}
    td .small{font-size:0.75em;}

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

louie wrote: »
    try this
    body, table {font-size: 0.75em; }
    /* or you can set the table on its own */
    table{font-size:0.75em;}
    /*you can also have different td with its own font size */
    td .large{font-size:1em;}
    td .small{font-size:0.75em;}

Had tried that, but then the table content ends up as 0.75 of 0.75.

In fact, if I use
    body{font-size: 0.75em; }
    table {font-size: 1em; }

the table content is now the same size as the body content (in IE and FF anyway)

The table seems to be defaulting to a default text size, rather than it's parent, unless you explicitly specify 1em.
    Goodshape wrote: »
    Can't remember encountering that problem before.

Have you got Firebug? Useful for figuring out things like this --> http://getfirebug.com/
    Firebug shows it as inheriting 0.75em from body :confused:

Bah! I found it - I'm an idiot (a bit)
    It's legacy, it happens in quirks mode. I'd somehow deleted the line with my DOCTYPE declaration. Put it back in and it's working normally.

Somehow I missed this when I was googling last night:
    Back in the old days of <font> tags the font size was not inherited
    into tables. When CSS support was first added to browsers it was made
    backwards compatible with <font> tags and so the font size was not
    inherited into tables. This has been fixed in newer browsers, but they
    still maintain a backwards compatability option, usually known as
    "quirks mode". The browser decides to use quirks mode or standards
    mode depending on the doctype, or lack of, on the page. Google for
    "doctype switching".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

A good css reset file might avoid these kind of problems. Meyer sets all font sizes to 100% but you could easily change it and re-use in all projects.

mewso wrote: »
    A good css reset file might avoid these kind of problems. Meyer sets all font sizes to 100% but you could easily change it and re-use in all projects.

Thanks, that looks quite useful.

BTW, 'quirks mode' also means margin:auto on a fixed width container doesn't work in IE. On which subject, is it worth using 'text-align:center' on body and 'text-align:left' on my container div to make the page centred on IE5 and below, or can I assume the vast majority of IE users are at least on 6 by now?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Our site is at approx. 13% for IE5.5 which is pretty remarkable. I stopped testing below IE6 along time ago though. I would deal with issues if someone contacted us about it but I don't think it's worth supporting below version 6 anymore. Others might disagree. I know some people might have no option but to use IE5.5 or worse for whatever reasons but as I said I would try to sort out any issues if they contacted us and not before.

Advertisement