Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stray cat and holidays

Options
  • 13-07-2009 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

A stray tom cat adopted us and he now lives happily in our garden shed. The problem is we are going away for 2 weeks at the start of august and have not got a clue what to do with him. He never goes indoors and loves his freedom.... wont even stay in shed with door closed ... so what will we do with him when we are away. We have our own indoor cat who will go to a cattery but this little lad would be so unhappy there. We only recently moved and dont know any of the neighbours and have no family close by. Any ideas on what we can do with him for the fortnight:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

What about a petsitter? They could call around everyday or every 2 days and leave food and water for him.Brians idea of the timed pet feeder is a good option too if you cant get a petsitter/neighbour to care for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Can someone get to shed without access to house?
    Any neighbours with teenagers nearby?
    Even if you don't know them that well it's worth asking, just offer to give them a few euro if they would pop in and feed cat daily.
    A relative of mine pays a neighbours girl approx E2 a day while he's away to open a can and give it to his cats. He leaves stack of food in shed, they drink rain water from old bucket. They're all wild but he trapped a neutered them, and they keep the small furies away.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

When we go away one of my siblings or one of the neighbours kids opens the daily can of cat food for the ferals.

One of my worries about going away is that they'll be wary of any strangers putting out food so we cut a cat flap into the side of our garden shed for them to come and go as they wish. Inside they have a gravity feeder like this one for their dry food so we don't need to worry that they'll starve.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Near us there is clearly someone who feeds a small group of feral cats .. I suspect it's either in a nearby haulage company's yard or maybe the Ardmore Studios. Anyway, every year there's a period of about 2 weeks in the summer when we get one or two unwelcome visitors coming in, pinching our own two cats food and generally hassling them and making a nuisance of themselves. The period always seems to start and end on a weekend, which to my mind, says that's when the person concerned goes on holiday and just abandons them assuming they'll get fed somewhere else. So to the OP, please try and make some kind of arrangements for them, for the sake of ervybody else around you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement