Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How To Cook Perfect Rice

Options
  • 13-07-2009 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi Folk,

I've have always found cooking rice quite difficult. I want to know how to cook good quality rice so that it doesn't turn out all sticky and messy. I want the cooked rice to be light and fluffy as they say.

L
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Use good quality long grain rice. Thai jasmine rice is really nice. Use equal parts rice to water or stock.

In a heavy-bottomed pan, boil your liquid, then add your rice. Bring back to a boil, then stir only once* and reduce to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for 12 minutes. After that, lower the heat to the lowest possible, and cover the pot with a clean tea towel and a tight-fitting lid. Leave for 10 minutes. After that, remove from the heat, but leave the tea towel and lid on for another 5 minutes. The rice is then ready to serve.

*You don't want to over-stir as this reptures the grains, releasing the starch, making the rice sticky. Also, don't add salt, as this has a similar effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭legoman

I didn't know that adding salt to the water would bring out more starch. I think I do have a habit of overcooking the rice on a too high heat.

Thanks, L

I know people who wash the rice before they cook the rice. Any thoughts on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I have a rice cooker - gets it nearly everytime
    never burns, wash teh rice beforehand, and I use mainly basmalti grain and I go for 1cup rice 1.5cups water, usually 15mins

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This work for me every time.

I use Thai fragrant/jasmine rice.
    Personally, I don't usually bother washing the rice of if I do I just give it a quick rinse.
    I use 1 measure of rice and 1 1/2 of cold water.
    All into a decent pot.
    Stir once.
    Bring to boil at high heat.
    Stir once again gently just to make sure its not stuck to pot.
    Turn down to a bare simmer, covered (this is the lowest setting on my gas hob).
    Put on timer for 11 minutes.
    Take off heat and leave sit for 10 mins (don't worry, it will stay warm).
    I like it a bit sticky (easier to eat with chop sticks) but if you want it fluffy just loosen it up with a fork.

I guarantee that this works.

Different rices absorb different amounts of water ant take different times to cook but the above works for Thai white rice. Larger pots of rice get a bit trickier but enough for 2-5 people is easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The method that seems to work best for me when I'm busy (and don't want to overcook or worry about absorption ratios) is boil a large pot of water. Add rice. Stir once after about one minute to prevent sticking. Put on timer for 10 minutes. Add salt. Allow to cook for another 1 - 2 minutes depending (test for done-ness). Drain. Sit the strainer on top of the pot and cover with a clean teacloth until ready to serve (keeps it warm and absorbs the steam, helping the rice 'dry' and fluff up).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I use exactly two parts boiling water to one part rice. Put it on a high heat till it's back to the boil, stir once, put the lid on and turn the heat down low. Make sure it's bubbling gently. It takes 15-18 minutes and you know it's done when you tilt the pot and there's no liquid left. It turns out perfectly every time.
    It's called the absorption method :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

The method that seems to work best for me when I'm busy (and don't want to overcook or worry about absorption ratios) is boil a large pot of water. Add rice. Stir once after about one minute to prevent sticking. Put on timer for 10 minutes. Add salt. Allow to cook for another 1 - 2 minutes depending (test for done-ness). Drain. Sit the strainer on top of the pot and cover with a clean teacloth until ready to serve (keeps it warm and absorbs the steam, helping the rice 'dry' and fluff up).

+1 for this method. I only use the absorption method if it's a biryani, jambalaya or similar.

Basmati is good if soaked for about an hour before cooking - it lengthens the rice grains.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Minder wrote: »
    +1 for this method. I only use the absorption method if it's a biryani, jambalaya or similar.
    +1 again. All this faffing (sp?) about with the absorption method is fine for those kinds of dishes, but for just plain old bog-standard boiled rice, boil in plenty of water, drain and leave lid on for a few minutes. Sorted.

Having said that, if I am doing pilau type dishes, I generally use the absorption method but in the microwave. Same results but no danger of burning or sticking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

This is what I do. Rice normally works out well, though it does vary by brand (Tilda is very good).

1. Rinse rice in cold water. Soak in cold water for 15mins. Rinse again. Drain well.

2. Put oil in saucepan. When hot, add rice and stir to coat rice in oil.

3. Add two parts water to one part rice.

4. Bring to simmer. Continue to simmer, uncovered, until most of the water is gone.

5. Turn heat down as low as possible and continue to steam for 10-12 more mins with lid on.

6. Eventually (maybe 25mins after first adding water), I turn off the heat altogether and leave the rice to steam for another ten minutes.

7. Lid off, fluff with fork, serve.

If you want your rice to have any flavour at all then the absorption method is the only way. It really is not difficult particularly if you measure the rice and water and get the heat right (this may take a little practice).

I cook rice several times a week by the method I described above.
    Always come out perfect!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

If you want your rice to have any flavour at all then the absorption method is the only way.

Why? and if it's the only way, how do you know? ;)

Washing, soaking and cooking in plenty of water that's rinsed through the colander will ensure that the milling agents used at some mills are washed through the rice, eg talc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I got taught this in thailand and has never failed me yet....

1. Get a 8-10" dia heavy bottom pan

2. Fill with desired amount of rice

3. Pour in enough water so it fills above the level of your rice by the length of your first knuckle on your middle finger

4. put on to a high heat uncovered

5. boil until little pock holes appear in the rice and the water's gone below the level of the rice

6. Turn off the heat and cover.

7. Leave for 10-15 minutes covered, don't touch, fluff or anything.

8. The residual fluid will be absorbed by the rice and it will be evenly cooked from the top to the bottom of the pan and very fluffy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I cook Rice the normal way as many above suggest but I also use a totally differect method sometimes.

What I do is Rinse the Rice put it in an oven proof pot/dish with a lid. Cover the rice with boilig water, a little bit of chicken stock, salt, pepper and a little knob of butter. Stick on the lid and stick it in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes. This works best with basmati rice.

Minder wrote: »
    Why? and if it's the only way, how do you know? ;)

Washing, soaking and cooking in plenty of water that's rinsed through the colander will ensure that the milling agents used at some mills are washed through the rice, eg talc.

because cooking it in lost of boiling water washes away all the flavour.

By all means thoroughly wash the rice before you cook it if you're concerned and I've no problem with soaking it either - just the boiling it in lots of water.

I know because I didn't always cook it that way!

But each to their own!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 ZumGirl

I find the best rice to use is Tilda Pure Basmati Rice, you can buy in most large supermarkets, its expensive but works every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

After years of frustration because the absorption method for cooking rice simply wouldn't work for me (I simply don't seem to be able to get the ratio rice-water right) I'm glad to have come across Jamie Olivers advice how to achive consistently fluffy rice...

I rinse the rice, bring a pot of water to the boil, add the rice and boil it for 5 minutes. Then I drain it, fill the pot with a little bit of water again, bring that to a simmer again and put the rice in the colander over the pot, covered with tin foil I leave it steam it for another 8-10 minutes. Turns out light and fluffy every time.

But as many have said here before the quality of the rice is important as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

legoman wrote: »
    Hi Folk,

I've have always found cooking rice quite difficult. I want to know how to cook good quality rice so that it doesn't turn out all sticky and messy. I want the cooked rice to be light and fluffy as they say.
    Having lived in asia, one finds the rice cooker to be a totally invaluable piece of kit, they are cheap.
    Plug in to the wall, wash and rinse rice 3 times (its covered with talc thats why you need to wash it) put 1 cup of water with each cup of rice into the rice cooker, and switch on. wait for the rice cooker to switch from "cook" to "warm" leave for a further 5 mins, then ready to serve

My daughter has been using a rice cooker (with supervision) since she was 6 years old to cook rice, thats how easy it is to cook rice perfectly with a rice cooker

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

1.5 water : 1 rice
    Bring to boil uncovered
    As soon as it is boiling, immediately switch off heat and put lid on (leave on hob)
    Wait

You must switch off the heat immediately when it boils or the rice at the bottom will burn. I'm a student so I think the laziest method is probably best for me : D

I generally cook Japanese sushi rice from the Asia Market on Drury St. I think it was €18 for 10kg.

Baza210 wrote: »
    1.5 water : 1 rice
    Bring to boil uncovered
    As soon as it is boiling, immediately switch off heat and put lid on (leave on hob)
    Wait

You must switch off the heat immediately when it boils or the rice at the bottom will burn. I'm a student so I think the laziest method is probably best for me : D

I generally cook Japanese sushi rice from the Asia Market on Drury St. I think it was €18 for 10kg.

That's not gonna work if you have a gas hob or probably not with anything other than a solid plate hob which will hold enough heat to simmer the rice far 10 mins or so.

5unflower wrote: »
    After years of frustration because the absorption method for cooking rice simply wouldn't work for me (I simply don't seem to be able to get the ratio rice-water right) I'm glad to have come across Jamie Olivers advice how to achive consistently fluffy rice...

I rinse the rice, bring a pot of water to the boil, add the rice and boil it for 5 minutes. Then I drain it, fill the pot with a little bit of water again, bring that to a simmer again and put the rice in the colander over the pot, covered with tin foil I leave it steam it for another 8-10 minutes. Turns out light and fluffy every time.

But as many have said here before the quality of the rice is important as well.

The South East Asian way of cooking rice is like that. They have steamer pots where you have the rice boiling at the start and then can raise it out of the water to steam for the rest of it's cooking. I'd love one of those pots!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Delia's method never fails with me. Fry half a sliced onion in a smallish saucepan, add the rice when onion is cooked - 250g and coat it with the oil.

The add 450 mls of stock, bring to the boil and cover for the requisite time approx 10 - 15 minutes for white and 30 mins for brown. The don't touch it until the stock has all been absorbed by the rice. Perfect and simple, every time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

That's not gonna work if you have a gas hob or probably not with anything other than a solid plate hob which will hold enough heat to simmer the rice far 10 mins or so.

Well I've never tried it on a gas hob, but it works on the two hobs that I have tried it on...

• Registered Users Posts: 44 songbirds

legoman wrote: »
    Hi Folk,

L

I know this is an old thread, but I am organising a party for 50 people and while rice for 4-5 always turns out great, I am not sure what is the best way to cook rice to cater for 50! Any hints for non-sticky rice?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Place your finger on top of the rice. The water level should not be more higher than the first joint of that finger.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

songbirds, don't bump old threads when you've already started your own one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement