Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[PR] Bus Éireann Introduces Free "Speaking Website" Facility on Buseireann.ie

Options
  • 13-07-2009 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.buseireann.ie/news.php?id=743&month=Jul
    Bus Éireann Introduces Free “Speaking Website” Facility to Enhance Accessibility of Buseireann.ie

Bus Éireann has introduced a new feature on its website – www.buseireann.ie to make it easier for people who have difficulty reading on-line to access its content.

Visitors to www.buseireann.ie can now download via the site the BrowseAloud tool, which converts the text of the website into speech. When users of BrowseAloud click on text on the site those words are spoken back to them in a high quality, human-sounding voice making the website more accessible to those with learning difficulties, dyslexia, mild visual impairments or where English is a second language.

There is no cost to the user in downloading and using BrowseAloud, and downloading only takes a few minutes.

Other key features of BrowseAloud include a Talking Dictionary, the Text Magnification Display; allowing users to increase the text size to suit their individual preference, and MP3 Output, which allows users to convert text into sound files and listen on the move.

BrowseAloud can be used across all areas of Buseireann.ie including its journey planner, real-time information system, and on-line booking features.

“Bus Éireann is always looking at ways to improve accessibility to its services and with our site being one of the ten most popular Irish sites on the Web it is important that this also extends to our on-line presence. We believe that the BrowseAloud solution ensures that our website can now be accessed by the whole community in an easy and quick way,” said Andrew McLindon, Media and PR Manager, Bus Éireann.

BrowseAloud, which was developed by Texthelp Systems, will also read accessible HTML, PDF documents, hyperlinks and tags behind images. Over 2,500 websites use the BrowseAloud technology.

BrowseAloud is completely free to the end user with all costs covered by Bus Éireann.

Monday, 13th July, 2009

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

a nice feature for a website, but totally pointless because it doesn't improve there service! still unattractive and not efficient!

When will we ever get a proper transport system in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

visitors to www.buseireann.ie can now download via the site the BrowseAloud tool

I think I need it, because I can't find a link to it anywhere on the BE site

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

MOH wrote: »
    I think I need it, because I can't find a link to it anywhere on the BE site

Ah thats a common enough feature. This came up before on another topic about integrated tickets, where somebody found a page (probably by google) but there was no obvious link to it from their website.

I'm uttely convinced that BE have two web departments, and they don't know the other exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.browsealoud.com/page.asp?pg_id=80023

There is a link on the scrolling images at the bottom.

Advertisement