Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transport from Mayo To Dublin

Options
  • 13-07-2009 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

hello, i need to travel from Dublin to Ballina in Mayo this weekend and im just wondering if anyone knows how frequent the trains go and how long it takes roughly? the website is quite confusing so just taut id try here any help would be great, Thanks :) :pac::pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

I don't think there are trains but I know there is definitely a bus from Dublin to Ballina which leaves a few times a day as I often got it as far as Mullingar. You will find the timetable on Bus Eireann's website. You could alternatively check the Sligo train route to see if there is a stop near where you want to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 RachDxxx

thanks ill check now thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,301 ✭✭✭✭Victor

On Friday or Saturday, depart Dublin Heuston at 08:20 or 12:40 or 16:15 (Friday only) or 17:45. You must change train at Manulla Junction (across the platform), except on the 16:15. Typical journey time is 3.5 to 4 hours.

On Sunday, depart Dublin Heuston at 08:40 or 13:05 or 18:05. You must change train at Manulla Junction.

Returning on Saturday or Monday, depart Ballina at 06:50 or 13:00 or 17:55. You must change train at Manulla Junction.

Returning on Sunday at 07:35 or 14:15 or 17:45. You must change train at Manulla Junction.

You can get discount fares by booking online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Victor wrote: »
    On Friday or Saturday, depart Dublin Heuston at 08:20 or 12:40 or 16:15 (Friday only) or 17:45. You must change train at Manulla Junction (across the platform), except on the 16:15. Typical journey time is 3.5 to 4 hours.

On Sunday, depart Dublin Heuston at 08:40 or 13:05 or 18:05. You must change train at Manulla Junction.

Returning on Saturday or Monday, depart Ballina at 06:50 or 13:00 or 17:55. You must change train at Manulla Junction.

Returning on Sunday at 07:35 or 14:15 or 17:45. You must change train at Manulla Junction.

You can get discount fares by booking online.

I wonder how anybody found a timetable with 3 trains a day confusing to read :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I can see why someone unused to IE's website would be confused - it's not exactly user friendly, in fact the very opposite! At first glance it appears that there are two simultaneous 08.20 departures from Heuston one to Ballina and one to Manulla - it's just crap! Nearly as bad as the printed monstrosity.

Having not had the 'pleasure' of travelling on this line by service train recently it appears that there is no longer a 1st class option - am I correct? I imagine the catering is now reduced to a poison trolley too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 RachDxxx

yes i did find it a tad confusing:confused: get over it and thanks for all the help everyone else!! :) :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Hamndegger wrote: »
    I wonder how anybody found a timetable with 3 trains a day confusing to read :)

I found it confusing the first time i ever took it. Was worried about what would happen if the train from Dublin was late and I missed the connection. Didn't really the sole purpose of the Manulla train was to meet the Dublin one so it would wait.

Advertisement