Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Griffith Avenue Metro Stop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,258 ✭✭✭markpb

DCU bought a big chunk of that land in 2002 to prevent developers building on it. I can't point out the boundaries on the map but I understand it doesn't actually touch the main DCU campus at all. The rumour last year was that it would be a separate research facility.

On a side note, north Dublin is littered with large plots of unused (or underused) land. It's such a pity to see people commuting from Cavan, Portarlington, West Meath, etc which this land is much more suitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

crocro wrote: »
    There are agricucltural fields to the North of Griffith Avenue at the location of the proposed metro stop.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=swws51ggbkwr&style=b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=29504273&where1=dublin&encType=1

Do these fields belong to DCU? Looks like a good location to build a high density residential development - is this likely?
    I suggest a large park & ride, also change the name to graffiti avenue metro station :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

I suggest a large park & ride, also change the name to graffiti avenue metro station :D
    A good suggestion about parking. But according to the planners there won't be any parking at that station, despite the availability of land there. Apparently they expect that it will only service people walking to the stop. Queue mass abandonment of cars on every side-road in the area.

Not sure I get the 'graffiti' pun though. Must have gone over my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

markpb wrote: »
    DCU bought a big chunk of that land in 2002 to prevent developers building on it. I can't point out the boundaries on the map but I understand it doesn't actually touch the main DCU campus at all. The rumour last year was that it would be a separate research facility.

I was under the impression that they owned pretty much all of it, with the exception of the nursing home, some of the farm, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

On a side note, north Dublin is littered with large plots of unused (or underused) land. It's such a pity to see people commuting from Cavan, Portarlington, West Meath, etc which this land is much more suitable.

Its not lack of housing that forces us commuters outside of Dublin, its the cost of housing. My choice for what I could afford in 2005 was either a terraced house in some scummy area of Ballyfermot/Clondalkin or a nice detached 3 bed bungalow in Westmeath.
    Less convenient but a better quality home for the money I paid.

I agree though, more should be done with the land, if not built on then turned in to public parks etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,302 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Increase supply and price will drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I was told by a resident of Griffith Avenue that that field was bought up so that DCU couldnt get their hands on it. From what I was told, DCU dont own it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,258 ✭✭✭markpb

I was told by a resident of Griffith Avenue that that field was bought up so that DCU couldnt get their hands on it. From what I was told, DCU dont own it

Nope, they definitely do - I was in DCU when it was bought.

The rumour at the time was that the original owners didn't want DCU to buy it and sold it to a private company but DCU convinced the private company to sell it to them. Frankly, I doubt there's much truth to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

It makes no odds whatseover in fact it's better if they are left "fallow" for the time being (even if we didn't have the downturn).

The fact of the matter is that the various councils have adequate opportunities to increase the density of populations by allowing high rise but they were quite content to allow low rise low density sprawl. It's just bad planning and we have had a rash of (bad) rezonings of green spaces within the city area as a knee jerk reaction.

Ironically, the powers that be are going to allow Metro West run through fields of low density housing in west Dublin. It's almost like an apology to bad planning - we gave you unsustainable sprawl and after 20 years were are going to throw you a luas line, sorry metro, as compensation. You'll probably find that any high density high rise developments along metro west will probably encounter resistance from existing residents in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Jimicito

Nope, they definitely do - I was in DCU when it was bought.

The rumour at the time was that the original owners didn't want DCU to buy it and sold it to a private company but DCU convinced the private company to sell it to them. Frankly, I doubt there's much truth to that.

You can find some information about it here :

http://www.thecollegeview.com/2008/11/20/expansion-of-dcu-planned-website-exclusive/

The recession has probably changed the goalposts somewhat and perhaps timescales will be adjusted but there is definitely a plan by DCU to develop the land.

Jimicito

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

BrianD wrote: »
    The fact of the matter is that the various councils have adequate opportunities to increase the density of populations by allowing high rise ...
    High density developments can be low-rise and many high-rise developments such as the Ballymun towers were low density. Equating high-rise and high density encourages people to oppose both.

Metro west is very unlikely to happen.

Advertisement