Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contrived

Options
  • 13-07-2009 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or was Jeremy in the Evo totally contrived. It was a recruitment advert for the British Army.

I'm sure they were using live bullets and I'm sure Jeremy was in the car when it was crushed by that whateveritwas.:rolleyes:

Contrived sh1te in my opinion and they would be well served steering clear.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

explain contrived!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

mink_man wrote: »
    explain contrived!

watch the episode

christ I really hope that no enemployed 18yo who signs up after seeing it get one of those hallarious 50calibers bullets in the head

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Thread fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

It could have been but i don't care, its entertainment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Poor show last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

It was quite a poor show, 4 door porsche racing a stamp.

Also killing an Evo because it was owned by a drug dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

It always amazes me that no matter how fast a car they drive te camera crew is always able to get ahead to do the next shot. Contrived? more like done to a script the whole show, but still entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Planned and contrived? Its an outrage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

TG & British Army is like Mikey B and the US Military tbh; good to watch but don't read too much into it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Hate to tell you, but the only thing you can watch on tv that isn't contrived is An Nuacht, and even then I'm not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I do agree though that Top Gear is a bit too close to the British Army and does serve as a recruitment tool. However, I suppose the national broadcaster has always been used by the British Government for war propaganda etc. It's not the first time the Army have been on Top Gear ;)

Its a called a Quid Pro Quo - TG have used the MoDs offices for various stunts like killing Old Stig off the end of an aircraft carrier and using a Harrier jump jet at the track to race a Lotus (?), so they want something in return. Fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I thought last nights episode was probably the poorest episode yet, the Clarkson/Army bit was just embarrassing to watch and the rest was just boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FreeFallin

I enjoy every episode, usain bolt was good to see as a guest rather than one of the usual types.

I think we can all agree that richard hammond needs a haircut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

IMHO it was contrived and in general not a great ep.
    FreeFallin wrote: »
    It's about time for him to catch himself on WRT the poncey teenage clothes too. Maybe we can cut him some slack due to the severe brain damage he suffered in his rocket car crash? :confused:

Its all part of the pretence like Hammond is always portrayed as being the young one, he is the younger one, he's 39 fer petes sake so jokes about McFly are just that. He prolly has wears comfy corduroys and slippers around the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,352 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Rubbish episode last night. Army bit was just stupid, not the least bit believable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

1st episode of the season was brilliant, second was the poorest so far, and the third was only marginally better. Oh great another race, oh great another military v clarskon short. They were calling clarkson and hammond in from the track when they were driving the focus and megane because of the fear there would be an accident, and 10 mins later they are letting the mod shoot 50mm rounds at him......eh o...k :rolleyes:

I think they have milked the formula for so long now, and its only now beginning to wear thin with people. Its normally pure entertainment, but as of late, its scripted grounghog day.

I hope they start doing different things, and we can see the lads doing what they do best - entertain us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

If thats the best the Brits have then we could just round up a couple of lads in Civcs from Tallaght and stage an invasion :D

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭SQ2

Muckie wrote: »
    It was quite a poor show, 4 door porsche racing a stamp.

Also killing an Evo because it was owned by a drug dealer.

I reckon the challenge was rubbish cos they weren't racing Clarkson. Not much banter from a stamp.
    Anyone else get the sky plus reference after the RS v Renault track times :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,388 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

SQ2 wrote: »
    I reckon the challenge was rubbish cos they weren't racing Clarkson. Not much banter from a stamp.
    Anyone else get the sky plus reference after the RS v Renault track times :)

only clicked with me now what they meant:D at the time i was just think "Who would have skipped past that?":o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,862 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I quite liked the review at the start, that Focus looks pretty good.

It was nice to see a proper review with good info about the cars for once:)

The Panamera race, while the idea of it was pretty stupid and boring, man alive that car was a gorgeous looking thing!! There wasn't enough focus on that thing at all...

Usian Bolt, he's a good sport, but his interview was pretty boring, the magazine bit was pretty funny though..poor Richard!:p

The news, pretty scripted, as usual, but it has been getting better with each ep going by this series. The flaming Lambos and the Zonda were good.

It was the final bit where it all fell apart. The completely recycled idea of "car being chased by big scary tanks". The reason it worked the first time was because the Challenger is used for off roading, and what is a better challenge for an off-roading car than have a big ass scary tank chase you down through a forest??!! The Evo was just stupid... That ruined what was, overall, a fair episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

ksimpson wrote: »
    Is it just me or was Jeremy in the Evo totally contrived. It was a recruitment advert for the British Army.

I'm sure they were using live bullets and I'm sure Jeremy was in the car when it was crushed by that whateveritwas.:rolleyes:

Contrived sh1te in my opinion and they would be well served steering clear.

JC and his missus are patrons of Help for Heroes.

I enjoy the army stuff they show on top gear and I'd expect there to be more in the future. :)

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

FreeFallin wrote: »
    It's about time for him to catch himself on WRT the poncey teenage clothes too. Maybe we can cut him some slack due to the severe brain damage he suffered in his rocket car crash? :confused:

Guys, he had head trauma. He had brain surgery. He likely has large scars on his head.

It doesn't take a genius to work out he had short hair for years and its been long since his crash. He probably wont cut it as its likely not an option for a TV presenter.

With regards to the army thing, I didnt like it. Stuff like the army paintballing the car to test how maneuvrable it was was cool. It had a logical reason, if flimsy. The chopper against the car, was the same. When they raced the Veyron against the eurofighter, it was cool. It was a race.

This however, was awful. It had no purpose, was ultra hammy, and was just a big army jerk off tbh. I have no issue with the army stuff, but ffs make it a race or something.

Kirby wrote: »
    Guys, he had head trauma. He had brain surgery. He likely has large scars on his head.

I don't think he actually had any surgery as part of his recovery.
    I think that's one of the reasons why he got his license back so quickly. If he had had any surgery he probably would have had to wait at least 6 months till he could drive again.

To be honest, I'm getting used to his hair. It looked good in S10 and 11. Series 12 it started getting a life of it's own, lately it is a bit...wooooo!!...but feck it sure, he's a big boy (well...), he can wear his hair any way he likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,088 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I don't think he actually had any surgery as part of his recovery.
    I think that's one of the reasons why he got his license back so quickly. If he had had any surgery he probably would have had to wait at least 6 months till he could drive again.

To be honest, I'm getting used to his hair. It looked good in S10 and 11. Series 12 it started getting a life of it's own, lately it is a bit...wooooo!!...but feck it sure, he's a big boy (well...), he can wear his hair any way he likes.

didn't doctors have to drill into his head?

I think he said in his book that he didn't have any scars, and that he didn't have to wait so many months to get his license back because his head wasn't cut open.

I could be wrong though....:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hot4teacher

I've actually gone off Hamster a lot lately. There is only one JC so I don't know why hamster keeps on trying to imitate him.
    I think the formula has just about run its course now and they need new ideas for the new series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Been a big fan for soo long, know its contrived, set-up, scripted etc, The unscripted parts and the chemistry plus the great camera work and fast cars/toys/ good ideas is what has made it so good

BUT.. its slipping into a no-rules bad formula now. Hammond is just too predictable and rarely gets off a genuine funny line or has a natural moment. May is excellent. Clarkson is excellent. They work well together, but God knows how many retakes they do on everything until its like the classic top gear, its so easy to tell at this stage, and its lost its sheen.

This last season was okay, but couldn't help feeling disappointed. The only bit I remember and actually laughed at was the rally they all entered with the token co-drivers.

The simpsons were great for about 9 seasons, but then something happened, it suddenly became quite silly, the jokes were all based on celebrities or messing with that subtle simpsons formula.

This is happening in Top Gear and I'm sure next season the producers will be asking May Hammond and Clarkson to even try and fake some of those precious genuine moments.. I mean they can't even drive 50 miles through England without all these 'zany' things happening.. such bull crap

• Advertisement
Advertisement