Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training a pup

Options
  • 12-07-2009 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

I have a 8 week old pup,and im trying to train her to go the toilet out the back or when she is in the house to go on the newspaper.Yet 2 weeks later she is still doing the opposite.I no it will not happen over night but should i see some progress???

What is the best way to teach her to go on the shore out the back garden??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Crate or restricted bedtime area is good for training at night time. You can help both you and the pup by bringing them out to the grass after meals, after big drinks, before bed and so forth. When they're very young they can't hold it at all.
    If they have too large an area at night lets say, then they can go all over the place, rather than in the one spot because they've too much room to wander about and forget where the 'toilet' is.
    Lots of praise when they go outside or in designated areas, don't scold much when they're too little to hold it, it's not really their fault. Our pup was mostly trained on puppypads/newspaper and we went from there. She was great in time, obviously they can't help accidents and if you don't see them to let them out in time, it's not their fault if they go. If you are using newspaper or anything, it might be close to it, ie they had a paw on the paper and then went, that's good though, they felt the paper and went, not that they deliberately didn't go on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

upthedub wrote: »
    What is the best way to teach her to go on the shore out the back garden??

Make up your mind !

If you want her to go outside then forget about faffing around with newspapers inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭dogbert27

This really takes alot of time but it is definitely worth it. When we got our lab home we walked him straight to the back garden to relieve himself. Then every 2 hours we brought him outside. We restricted the amount of water he drank before bed time but I also woke up every night for 3-4 weeks about 3 am and brought him outside to relieve himself which he always did. I think in all he peed about 8 times in the house while training and pooed only 3 times. Each time was my fault for not seeing the signs that he was trying to tell me. Also every time he did a poo outside we made a big deal about giving him loads of affection and a treat. 2 years later after he does a poo he runs back in the house excited looking for affection!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Second Peasant on the newspaper, I think it only complicates the task. Do a search here on the forum for toilet training - there have been some great posts on the topic.

Dogs seem to get the idea at different rates so it is impossible really to put a timeframe on this but if you are consistent and do as suggested here it won't be long before your pup gets it. Remember, you have instinct on your side as they naturally don't want to deficate near their own sleeping area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭upthedub

peasant wrote: »
    Make up your mind !

If you want her to go outside then forget about faffing around with newspapers inside.
    Read the post again,obviously i have to use something at night time wouldnt i...:rolleyes: !

• Advertisement

upthedub wrote: »
    Read the post again,obviously i have to use something at night time wouldnt i...:rolleyes: !

yepp ...wellies and a flashlight ...for going outside

obviously ...:D

Seriously ...the pup won't be able to rationalise that it's ok to use paper during the night but not during the day. It's either ok to use paper all the time or not at all. And if it's "not at all", then you'll have to put the legwork in during the night until the pup is old enough to sleep through

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

As peasant says, you have to make your mind up, is it newspaper or outside, dogs dont understand if you want them to use paper sometimes and outside others.
    Yes it does mean you need to get up at night time or if you dont want to get up, then expect puddles at night time for a few months as pups cant hold it for very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭mint man

with my dogs we used newspaper over a large area of the floor and gradually put less and less down while placing it closer to the backdoor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Yup newspaper/puppy pads can work too.
    Our pup was mostly paper trained when we got her, ok accidents for the first week or so but new home that's natural. She did her best to go on the newspaper when inside, we'd let her out after food etc and get her to go on the grass. Eventually she'd paw at the back door to get out to go to the toilet.
    At night, she used the paper (until she was old enough to control it).

Just if you're doing this at night, make the area they're in a smaller area or else they forget where their toilet is.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 paulbhoy

my pup is goin on the grass outside trouble is its not the easiest to clean without wrecking the grass is there any way to train her to go on the concrete bit of the garden ?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭venividivici

of course there's a way, just catch the dog going the toilet in the grass and stop,or at least interupt it, and correct it, then move the dog to the concrete, pretty much the same way as you would house train a dog to go the toilet outside..

and if this doesn't work,

then,

concrete the whole garden, that's sure to work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 paulbhoy

concrete the whole garden ??????
    jesus the missus would be sure to love that

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭boardbrowser

There is a house training article on www.ohmydog.ie that explains the house training process in detail. go to website and find under articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

Hi, my dog is 1 and a half but i remember well the weeing and pooing everywhere. I bought those puppy pads and the trainig mat, it didnt work with my dog, she just thought it was fun to rip it to shreds.
    Wheni would catch my pup sniffing around i would lift her straight up and out to the garden.
    For night time let her sleep in a small pen/cage- i got mine in argos, the dog trainer i went to said the pen should be small, so they wont want to sleep near wee or poo, i used lots of newspaper, gradually using smaller pieces and mmoving them towards the door.
    Now she is very good , she sleeps all night indoors and doesnt wee, she wees last thing at night and first thing in the morning, its good to get your dog int he habit of going outside after eating, and plenty praise!
    best of luck!

There is a house training article on www.ohmydog.ie that explains the house training process in detail. go to website and find under articles.

From the article:
    . Accompany your dog to his ‘spot’ on the lead outside approximately every 3 hours depending on your dogs’ age and bladder control. Give him ONLY 5 minutes, ignoring your dog until he urinates/defecates, then PRAISE and reward him with 3 SMALL TREATS IMMEDIATELY on the spot.
    remember ...three treats...not two, not four, definetly not none at all but three :D

What if he doesn’t go?

2. If he doesn’t potty within the allotted time, take him back inside. Since he has a ‘full tank’ he should not be permitted to roam the house. Instead, he should be tethered directly next to you, or returned to his crate for 30 minutes.

3. Return to the ‘spot’ every 15-30 minutes until he potties. Then you have approximately 3 hours (depending on age) of ‘safe’ time. He still must be supervised in the same room as you.

what a heap of puppy-poo, quite frankly

Take your pup outside after eating/drinking, sleeping and after playing sessions AND every time it shows the signs that is has to ...throw away your watch while outside...watch your pup instead

Advertisement