Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can I give my cat a painkiller

Options
  • 12-07-2009 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

My cat who will be 1 next month, stayed out last night. He has never done this before, anyway, this morning at 10.30 he came home and when I picked him up he "growled" at me, I put him down and he walked to the couch and tried to jump up, I checked him over and he has a prolapse at his back passage, I got him to the vet and she was worried that he could of been poisoned. He has not vomited and she said that he would be off his food today and if he started vomiting or still refused to eat tomorrow to bring him back, she gave him an injection of antibiotics and painkiller. well he's slept most of the day and has started eating and I think the painkiller has worn off so is there anything that I could give him tomorrow? because he's showing signs of improvement and I don't think that it was poison, any advice would be appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I would ring your vet tbh - you can't go giving animals human drugs and you've no idea how they'd react to it so do NOT give your cat anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭magenta73

yeah your right, I'll give them a ring tomorrow, I just hate seeing him in pain. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Of course, and I understand you just want to help. But the best way to do that is to call the vets & make a return visit if necessary. You don't want to make your cat worse :(
    Just give him lots of attention and make sure he's not having to do anything that'll make him worse, make sure he's comfy, perhaps keep him in tonight etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

i tried to resist the urge to post this...........

lolcat-funny-picture-found-pills-ate-eat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Yep, return to the vet - I know it's financially painful, but a paracetamol tablet, for instance, can kill a cat (their livers aren't equipped to deal with people meds).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Anna88

If you dont mind me asking...where are you from in Dublin?? Im asking because there is a certain area where cats ARE being poisened (sorry cant spell) and I know of three cats already who have died from it. Hope your kitty is ok x

I live in Dublin 12, everybody has been so helpful, thanks a million. I have my cat since he was 2 weeks old as his mother was very ill after having her litter and needed surgery, so I have bottle feed him and weened him onto food, I'm so attached it's not even funny! this morning he was waiting for his breakfast and gobbled it up but his bum is still the same, I'm still very worried,

just a little up date, I rang the vet and the painkiller he was given is slow releasing also, and she assured me that he was'nt in pain but he was uncomfortable, so if the prolapse is'nt getting any better by wed then to bring him back so fingers crossed, thanks again you guys:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Anna88

Glad things are working out well....
    Let us know how it goes for him!!

Advertisement