Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Deaf white kittens found! Any ideas?

Options
  • 12-07-2009 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

So, my mom found these 2 deaf white kittens where she works.
    We were going to look for homes for them but figured no one would take on the hassle of a deaf pet. What should we do with them?
    We presume they will die on the road when they are old enough to wander so are just going to get them put down in the next week. Will a shelter bother with them?
    Any help much appreciated!

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

They'd make someone a nice house pet. Very cute by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

There's no need to get them put down, they'll do fine as indoor cats.
    Are you sure they're deaf, not all white cats are deaf, even if they have blue eyes it's not always true. Any shelter would take them, just ring around.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Hey There,

I imagine they will make nice pets. Also I'm just wondering how you know they are deaf?

They are gorgeous by the way. I would contact your nearest shelter before going the put them down route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Yes --- shelter first!!
    Goodness I wouldn't just get two kittens put down just because they're deaf. They can still live good lives in the right care.
    As others have said - are you sure they're deaf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Hi there

My mate was just looking at the cats. If you are giving them away my friend would take one of them. Are you in Dublin??? They are too pretty to put down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭japasca

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the help. Firstly, i'm not going to put them down straight away or anything, i love animals and would be delighted to see them find a home! I'll start ringing shelters tomorrow morning.

And the kittens are in Limerick and Free for the taking if anyone is interested in a drive?

Here's another picture....

Oh, and their very deaf! I can walk up behind them and shout, Clap my hands etc and they dont even move an ear. However they respond to vibrations like a door slamming or stamping your foot.

sorry, forgot the pic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Awh they're so cute.
    Please do ring shelters and SPCAs close by etc.

Aye they'll feel vibrations and things like that, different from hearing as such :) Which is good because they have some form of feeling their way around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

japasca wrote: »
    sorry, forgot the pic

Is that a 2 headed kitten :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭BrigR

We have a deaf white cat, lovely pet and no bother whatsoever! I would really encourage cat lovers to give a deaf cat a chance. They don't miss anything because they don't know any different and adapt very well. Our cat certainly gets plenty of quality sleep, won't be disturbed by drills, hoovers or other noisy household appliances. The only big difference is that he needs to wear a bell so that we know where he hangs out. I'd definitely take another deaf cat. Our guy is the most affectionate cat I've ever had!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Oh my god I am in love!

I have had a much loved deaf cat before - I would love these cats!

My other half has said if you do not find a home by the end of the week - I can & will take the both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

A deaf cat makes a wonderful pet! ours is six years old now and not a bother on her! at first we thought she would be killed on the road pretty quick and we didn't expect her to last long at all but i think instinctively she prefers to stay indoors as she knows its safer. she is the most affectionate cat we have ever had(i mean really really affectionate) and is very well-loved and cared for, and i think anybody would be lucky to have a little deaf cat in their family:D don't let the deafness deter you, there's nothing that they can't manage to do!:p
    a picture of our little one included:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Deaf cat = indoors only or a restricted outdoor enclosure - they haven't a hope out in the big bad world, and god love them if they get lost, they can't hear you calling for them and you can walk right by them and they don't think to miaow because they can't hear you. Friend of mine borrowed her neighbour's dog to find her deaf cat (stuck in a storm drain pipe at the end of her property - silly creature ran in there after getting a fright on the road, and was too scared to reverse because it could feel the vibration of passing traffic) because the poor thing couldn't hear her calling for it.

They make great pets though, especially as indoor cats - once they learn your routine and your ways they often end up far more chilled out than hearing cats. The hoover, for instance, isn't an instrument of terror when you can't hear it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

The hoover, for instance, isn't an instrument of terror when you can't hear it...

Oh stop. I have one of mine (not deaf by the way) about 7 years now and the hairdryer, hoover, anything noisy like that still scares the bejesus out of her. Doesn't matter how many times I try and convince her otherwise, she's convinced they're going to get her. She's the most laid back cat in the world most of the time, but when she's scared of something, she's really scared of it. She's not too keen on strange men either. My last boyfriend was coming to the house a good 6 months before she let him near her. Before that, she'd run out of the room when she saw him. However, she's fine with women and absolutely adores children.

OP, your kittens are beautiful, please take up other posters' offers of homes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Surprised those things scare other cats, just used to different things I guess. Have 2 adultish cats and 3 kittens atm and maybe having 20+ cats around this house over the years(and that's only cats!). They could not care less about these things, couldn't scare em if I tried, suppose they are used to it since birth. And they may as well be deaf with the lack of listening or reacting they do. :)

I'm glad you will be finding ahome for these lovely creatures, hope they get on well!
    When they are raised in a house or garage or something, they wil be fine.

Hey Guys,

Thanks again for the help. The kittens have just been refused from http://www.limerickanimalwelfare.com/ due to some virus outbreak there.
    Anyone know of any other shelters in the Limerick area?

I've PM'd you Bond=007

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

Deaf cat = indoors only or a restricted outdoor enclosure -

Agree completely, the only reason ours goes outdoors is because when we got her she was a few months old and had been living outdoors completely:eek: so there was no way we couldn't not let her out at times, she yowls the place down until she can get out for a nose around the garden to see what's happening:pac:
    the older she gets the more time she wants to spend indoors though, she's getting lazy:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jeanmec

would love to take these beautiful kittens from u if u dont find a home for them

jean

jeanmec wrote: »
    would love to take these beautiful kittens from u if u dont find a home for them

jean

Thanks Jean, I'll keep you posted!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crafty-Chel

95% of white cats with blue eyes are deaf...<<< i thought that was fasinating

My cousin found one on the side of a road (one blue eye and one brown and stone deaf) they live beside a busy road, have approx 40 horses, a tractor two jeeps and two cars around there house and farm and the cat has never come to any harm, they've had her about 2 years.

so deaf cats have a normal life just like normal cats...

• Advertisement

Collected them this evening. My other half is cuddling them at the moment. Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

I love a happy ending!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭nearly

so glad to read this story :)
    a friend of mine who lives in blackrock in dublin has a white cat. and she lets the cat out doors(!)

the cat is named Bowie because she has one blue eye and one green eye. stone deaf, but completely aware of her surroundings.

i'm glad we have indoor kitties, but just wanted to add that Bowie does fine out of doors.

lucky kitties who found a home with Bond.

I'm curious what their names are!

Not named yet. Having trouble picking names.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Go the Irish language route and call them (phonetically) Bower and Bawn (bodhar - deaf and ba[fada]n - white)

Advertisement