Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance Learning MBA

Options
  • 12-07-2009 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi all;

I am thinking of doing a distance learning MBA. Coming from an engineering background, this is not a area that I would be naturally familiar with, but the first thing that strikes me is how incredibly expensive the course are..... some of them are like £20k compared to £5k max for Msc. in Engineering disciplines!!!

Does anyone know of any "more affordable" MBA's? My preference would be that the course is from a university but if there is much better value to do it with an IT or something I am open to the idea - it doesn't matter if it is UK based or otherwise...... teh main deciding factor is cost to be honest.

Many thanks,

Matt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

Hi Matt

I had similar dilemna; engineering and business background but felt needed to add a 4th level qualification with time and cost constraints.

As a compromise I took the ACCA Diploma Financial Management. One year part time at DBS. It's available elsewhere in Ireland too or you can self study. This covers finance content from the MBA and maybe more. Very pleased with it. I get good feedback on it.

Feel free to PM if you want to discuss

Spin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Sligo IT do the MBA course; a friend of mine is doing it and he thinks its very good.
    have a look at their site for costs, i think it could be 7.5k pa. the closing date is well passed for this year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I think IT Sligo have an open evening this evening. Saw an ad in one of the local papers last week.

Might be worth getting in contact as there may be some spare places left.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭proteuspal

Hi all,
    I was just wondering how many years experience in the workplace does someone need to get onto an MBA course? or is it possible to basically go from undergraduate straight onto an MBA course?
    Yours help is appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 pinksalt

hi

Do you think it is possible to do the Dip FM without attending a course. i understand there is an assignment- can this be done without the help of teachers. how many hours per week was it in DBS and roughly how much? thanks for help

• Advertisement

Hi Pink

It is possible to to do the Dip FM on your own but the tutors add a lot of value in explaining the content, condensing the course and preparing you / tipping you for exams.

They also provide a certain amount of ethical/fair guidance also on the two projects.

Tuition also keeps you attending / reading throughout the year rather inevitably starting too late and inevitably failing.

It's not a 'mickey mouse' course . I would have certainly have failed without the tuition.

It made the difference for me in securing a new job a year ago ..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

One of the main benefits of doing an MBA is networking.

MBAs have a bit of a bad rep at the moment. It's a lot of expense and hard work for something prospective employers will probably go 'meh' at.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 pinksalt

Hi thanks for that reply - it is very useful. may i ask the job you got is in a purely financial role or is it one that the Dip FM would make a good add on to? i am trying to change directions but pure financial stuff would not appeal to me i think....

Feel free to pm me. I'll give you a call back this week

Advertisement