Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Board help

Options
  • 12-07-2009 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭

I'm 5'9" 11.5 stone and have been using my 7'9" BIC for about a year and would like to downsize but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I can catch 3-4 foot waves handy enough now and I'm getting better with turning etc.

I was thinking of getting this

Circle One Epoxy 6'8" swallow tail

Do you think there would be a gulf in difference i.e. too much?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

I reckon you'd be grand,I have a 6"8 board as well and am around the same height and weight and although its taking me a while to get used to it I'm catching the majority of waves I go for.Saying that though I'm no where near as handy as I thought I'd be but I'm actually enjoying it more than the long board as I can do slot more on it than on a long board.Reckon if you have the patience you'll be flying in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

is there any specific reason you are going with an epoxy surfboard over a fibreglass one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Cheers for the advice lads, no real reason why I was going for epoxy I suppose. I guess my thinking is that epoxy boards are cheaper (I think) and more hard wearing but I just kind of assumed epoxy was my natural progression for some reason. Not sure of any equivalent priced boards that might suit me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

BigLebowski -
    Those Webber spoons on the same site look good for what you're after also - should be much more maneuverable than your 7'9" but still have enough volume to float you well and that little extra width would help in catching waves (which will usually be slightly harder when you downsize).

If you are catching 3 - 4 foot waves you may find it harder to take the drop on the epoxy surfboard as they are superlight and wind resistance might hold you back. Epoxy surfboards are designed for beginners and from what i have read i seem to think you are past this stage in your surfing.

Epoxy surfboards are cheaper than fibreglass though circle ones are over priced. You can easily get a decent quality fibreglass board same size 350euro, less in some places even and if you look hard enough you will find an equivalent epoxy board of similiar quality for 300euro...

I can set you up with a mate who can get you a good price on a fibreglass board. let me know.

• Advertisement

Also suggest you look out for a big boy or fat boy shortboard, lots of volume and width.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭sul02

If your looking to sell on your bic pm your email with a price, i know someone who is looking for one. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

and would like to downsize...

Great, another speed bump in the line up....:rolleyes:

Cecil Mor wrote: »

Do you have a problem with me getting a smaller board?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭fade2che

Cecil Mor wrote: »
    Im not sure you realise that your post is coming across as a little hostile, I certainly hope that you just meant it in jest etc. To reply to a thread asking for board help, implying that someone you dont know, surfing in a location undisclosed will slow you down by getting a shorter board is ridiculous. Im sure you were in a similar situation at some stage in your life Cecil Mor.
    TheBigLebowsky did you decide on a board?

• Advertisement

Yeah I went ahead and got the 6'8" circle one board. All I need now are some waves. Took it for a paddle in Strandhill yesterday!

Managed to catch some waves in appalling surf just to see how it felt to get up on etc and it felt OK. The most obvious difference to me is the weight of the board. It must be about half the weight of the BIC and picks up speed a lot quicker.I now know what people meant by "a more responsive board"! The slightest move being transferred to the board.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes in some real waves.

Oh and by the way, the speedbump comment came across to me as "don't get in my way you fucking newbie".

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭fade2che

Nice, would you recommend west coast surf based on price, delivery etc?

I didn't actually buy from WCS. I just used that site for reference. I bought a practically unused 2nd hand board.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 fiachy

Hey TheBigLebowski
    Just wondering whats the story with the 7'9"BIC?? Are you going to sell it?
    If you are could you pm me with the price? Thanks

Sorry lads. The BIC is gone.

Advertisement