Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experience the moon mission in real time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Great find,i've embedded it on my facebook and desktop.

Great website. It'll be interesting to follow it over the week or so; it'll feel (very vaguely) like we're reliving the actual mission (although it happened 20 years before I was born).

Thanks for the link; I'll probably add it to the Expand Your Horizons links thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

will be keeping an eye on the website over the next couple of days. Seems like it could be pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Just over 3 hours to launch!:D

anyone listening??

Pretty cool to hear it all play out as it would have all those years ago.

• Advertisement

I've been waiting for this for weeks! I love how they're including the actual transmissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I've been waiting for this for weeks! I love how they're including the actual transmissions.

Aw crap... where is it on?

efla wrote: »
    Aw crap... where is it on?

What website? Just the link at the top of the page. The audio transmissions are included in that site, or are you looking for the transmissions on their own?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

What website? Just the link at the top of the page. The audio transmissions are included in that site, or are you looking for the transmissions on their own?

Wrong thread... :)

The new apollo footage - is that going out live soon?

Oh right! Somebody posted that it's going live on Sky News at 4pm.

• Advertisement

It's on NASA tv, and if you press Red on Sky News you can see the whole broadcast.

go to
    www.wechoosethemoon.org.

The Apollo 11 mission is probably the coolest mission that happened, listening to the transmission, back and forth between mission control etc.

Pretty awesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

damn missed it and nothing is happening now

good bit of back and forth between mission contro; etc. Some static when they lose signal and what not.

sometimes the broadcast will not initiate at first because the servers are too busy. keep refreshing, i think that will help

well the image is just static, i saw burn towards the moon but when it just static over the earth my brother was deeply unimpressed :/

yeah. no video. there is an animation to signify the next stage but other than that it's mostly pictures, and chatter

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The image moves between stages though. although the next stage isn't for another three days.

still have it on in the background, it wierd how they goin further away then anyone has gone before (apart from the practice runs), it like falling off a cliff

For anyone following this in realtime, if you want to listen to the "eagle" landing, they are going through that now, and will land in under ten minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Hi,

I have been trying to view this site last few days and can't get to or click on anything at all.

The countdown clock is still on so presume its not just me that can't get onto it?

Suzie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

suzieb wrote: »
    Hi,

I have been trying to view this site last few days and can't get to or click on anything at all.

The countdown clock is still on so presume its not just me that can't get onto it?

Suzie

Aww suzieb,pity you did not post this earlior in the *mission*
    Have you got Adobe flash player 10 from Adobe.com installed?(thats what the site uses to deliver its graphics)its free.
    unless your computer is very old your graphics card should be able to handle it.
    unfortunatly the *real time*part seems to have concluded at the Eagle landing time(about 21.15 Irish time)and the actual foot on the moon by Armstrong at what would be 03.56 does not seem to be one of its 11 stages(proably the JFK Library not have the rights to the audio?)or may,be they will add the actual walk audio at a later time?
    at the moment there is a short return to earth section on it(just took a quick glance)
    AFAIK they intend to keep the site on a permanent loop to watch when suits you for a long time yet.
    hope it works out for you!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Thanks for that.

Yeah the laptop I'm using is quite old-dell latitude,its an old company one from my friends job and there was nothing installed on it when I got it so am just installing things bit by bit when they're requested by sites I want to view!

Ah sure at least I'll get to see it again when its on the loop.
    I'll install adobe now but thought I had it again.

Just seen iss & endeavour again tonight,had a perfect view and no cloud coverage in north co dublin so am delighted as its 4th time this week. Really getting into skygazing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

suzieb wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Yeah the laptop I'm using is quite old-dell latitude,its an old company one from my friends job and there was nothing installed on it when I got it so am just installing things bit by bit when they're requested by sites I want to view!

Ah sure at least I'll get to see it again when its on the loop.
    I'll install adobe now but thought I had it again.

Just seen iss & endeavour again tonight,had a perfect view and no cloud coverage in north co dublin so am delighted as its 4th time this week. Really getting into skygazing :)

Lucky you, none of the sighting times worked out for me:(
    glad you at least got to see that,:) if not the real-time Apollo.
    my knowledge of computers is limited,some of the guys on the computer forums are great.
    found under the tech page as a subsection,
    they may be able to help you further?
    good luck!

ynotdu wrote: »
    Aww suzieb,pity you did not post this earlior in the *mission*
    Have you got Adobe flash player 10 from Adobe.com installed?(thats what the site uses to deliver its graphics)its free.
    unless your computer is very old your graphics card should be able to handle it.
    unfortunatly the *real time*part seems to have concluded at the Eagle landing time(about 21.15 Irish time)and the actual foot on the moon by Armstrong at what would be 03.56 does not seem to be one of its 11 stages(proably the JFK Library not have the rights to the audio?)or may,be they will add the actual walk audio at a later time?
    at the moment there is a short return to earth section on it(just took a quick glance)
    AFAIK they intend to keep the site on a permanent loop to watch when suits you for a long time yet.
    hope it works out for you!:)

Nope. while the journey to the moon has ended, the audio stream is ongoing.

At present they are eating and will begin EVA prep in less than half an hour

If you can listen to shoutcast internet broadcasts, then this URL should work

http://www.wechoosethemoon.org/player.html

it wasn't very good i left it on in the background, they didn't have much to say to each other did they for those few days of travel.

and then when the land it just sits their and as far as i can make the tramission end when they get out. (i clicked into the 11th stage again)

i wanted to listen to the full five hours they were outside.

Advertisement