Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WW1 Recruiting in Cork/Co.Cork

Options
  • 12-07-2009 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody,I was just wondering if anyone had any information regarding the recruiting of soldiers in county Cork during the First World War,things like what towns they were taking place in and the events surrounding them,I've searched the web high and low without luck,any help would be gratefully recieved.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

You would need to look at the newspaper archives of the time for information of that sort, specifically the local papers, which should be in the local/county library. I have read reports of that sort in the Cork notes in the Workers' Republic newspaper ran by the ITGWU, but that would only be one part of the puzzle if you looked at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Cannot help you much there, but since Cork and the british army are mentioned I just thought I'd post this picture of the british army taking down the butcher's apron for the last time appearently in Cork.

britssurrenderWeb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Cheers for that lads,I honestly had not thought of the local papers,its a bit obvious now looking at it .I'll be looking into casualty lists also so I'll have to go to the papers anyway so I can now kill two birds with one stone as the saying goes.cheers again

Advertisement